SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_pine

Help selecting soft apricot colored english shrub rose...Zone 7a TN

Julie Pine
6 years ago

Hello All,
I am totally new to rose gardening, but I'm about to give it a try. I love roses and my husband's mother grew them when she was living. It just seems like a lovely thing to do. I really enjoy cutting roses to bring in the house and can't wait to pair it with my hydrangeas in a vase.
So, I come to you today seeking guidance on what rose to select. We live in middle tennessee. Summers are hot and humid here. Our zone is 7a. I hear that we have Rose Rosette disease issues here, so I'm hoping to find something that is as disease resistant as possible. I am planning to put 7 roses along a privacy fence in full sun. I would like rose shrubs that grow full and create a nice wall of color. As much repeat blooming as possible would be terrific. Our soil here is something to behold. We live on the edge of a wetland that has been here for eons and things grow to an almost freakish size in our yard. I hope this will be true of our roses! I had considered the following roses...thoughts?
Sweet Juliet - this was our wedding rose! Would be so sentimental! But, I have seen some not so great reviews about poor repeat flowering and in general so so overall owner satisfaction.
Ambridge Rose - I've heard about this one being a "rust bucket"??? What does that mean? lol!
Carding Mill -
Wollerton Old Hall - I keep hearing that this one doesn't look good in hot locations because the light petals get dingy???
The Lark Ascending - Is this one too yellow?
The Shepherdess - Gosh, I think this one might be the prettiest, but David Austin's site actually says the disease resistance is poor. Should I run away? Does spraying every few weeks counteract that?
Help me new friends! Teach me your ways :) Thoughts on these roses? I'm sure you can tell that I've only really looked at David Austin so far. Any options I should consider not named here?
Thank you!!!!

Comments (9)