SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

What to do with zucchini/summer squash

3katz4me
6 years ago

I have never cared for this stuff but I joined a CSA farm and it's starting to come on a weekly basis. Is there something really good to make out of this bland, textureless vegetable? Another alternative is to leave it in the lunchroom at my office and someone else will find a use for it.

Comments (50)

• Fori
    6 years ago

Zucchini bread. And yes, leave some in the office!!

It's good on pizza but that won't use up much.

• Related Discussions

Will yellow summer squash grow huge like zucchini?

Q

Comments (1)
    It makes a difference. Straightnecks on average will mature larger than crooknecks. At maturity some varieties may make 18 inches. Crooknecks much smaller mature ones make good decorative gourds..
    ...See More

Summer Squash (yellow zucchini) female flowers browning and dying

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Gardenerenthusiast, I am glad you asked this question because the same thing has been happening to me, on both my zucchinis and my spaghetti squashes. Along with rotting blossoms that don't open, I've been getting female blossoms where the squash has shrivelled up before the flower even opens. My plants are otherwise healthy, though I have just started to see some yellowing on the leaves. Unfortunately I have no idea what is causing this, though I've narrowed it down to blossom end rot (which would mean a lack of calcium in the soil) or under watering (it's been very dry here and I've been watering shallowly and regularly, instead of deeply), or some kind of virus/fungus etc. I can't see any trace of pests on my plants, save for a few black aphids, and there are no signs of squash vine borers. One of the strange things is that it suddenly affected my zucchini, spaghetti squashes, and now my delicata squashes all around the same time, even though they are in different garden beds. This makes me think it is either the weather or a virus. My current theory is that I haven't watered them deeply enough, and also that they might need more plant food since they are quite close together and fruiting heavily. Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I would be curious to know if any of that sounds familiar to you. Good luck!
    ...See More

Best Lebanese Zucchini, Coosa, Mid Eastern Summer Squash, Kusa?

Q

Comments (16)
    For many years I grew Kuta squash from seeds from Park Seed Co. About four years ago they stopped offering those seeds and I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Kuta has almost a almond taste -- not the green taste of most zucchini -- it is good raw with a dip, grilled, baked, and stir fried. They look like some of the squash pictured -- especially the Greybeard. I'll try them and maybe a couple others, but if anyone knows where I can buy the Kuta Squash seeds, please let me know. Dick G
    ...See More

Preserving small zucchini and summer squash

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Jenny - since neither can be safely caned except as relish or pickles of some kind, drying or freezing is the best option. But even frozen they will go mushy. We thick slice them, lightly blanch, batter and freeze individual slices on a cookie sheet then into ziplock bags. Per NCHFP: Why is canning summer squash or zucchini not recommended? Recommendations for canning summer squashes, including zucchini, that appeared in former editions of So Easy to Preserve have been withdrawn due to uncertainty about the determination of processing times. Squashes are low-acid vegetables and require pressure canning for a known period of time that will destroy the bacteria that cause botulism. Documentation for the previous processing times cannot be found, and reports that are available do not support the old process. Slices or cubes of cooked summer squash will get quite soft and pack tightly into the jars. The amount of squash filled into a jar will affect the heating pattern in that jar. It is best to freeze or pickle summer squashes, but they may also be dried. If you search this forum using squash or zucchini you'll find many discussions and recipes for both. Dave
    ...See More
  • bpath
    6 years ago

Vache Qui Rit soup! (Laughing Cow). Good hot or cold, my son loves it and is having it yesterday and today since he got his wisdom teeth out.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Edited. Here's a link to a previous thread with a lot of interesting zucchini recipes. I happen to like zucchini so maybe they are more interesting to me than they will be to you-- but there were many, as I remember.

• Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

Zucchini bread freezes well too.

• trickyputt
    6 years ago

Grill it. Greek seasoning and a little oil works. Cut it chunky and toss it in the mix bowl and onto the fire.

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

Our 'go to' besides chopping it up in salads are #1 slice in half inch rounds sprinkle with your favorite spices, add Parmesan cheese microwave for about two minutes. Great before dinner snack. #2 Chocolate zucchini bread made with apple sauce. Offspring LOVE it. I freeze a few loaves for continental breakfast when they are home. #3 DD#1 uses them to make "pasta" noodles. She has some slicer deal.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I slice up onion, zucchini, yellow squash and garlic and saute in a pan in olive oil. Then add a can of diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes if in season. Sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper. Delish. To make extra special melt some mozzarella cheese into the pan before serving.

I had lunch at a GF's last week and she made a frittata with zucchini in it. Wonderful.

Mom used to mix up a can of cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 can of milk and use that as a sauce over cooked squash...that's how I always remember eating it as a kid.

I love to slice yellow squash and just zap until tender and add chopped up fresh tarragon with a little butter. So yummy. Or sometimes I saute the yellow sqaush with diced onions and green peppers which is good too.

I find any time I'm tired of a vegetable, I put different kinds together and it does come up with a whole new dish.

MIL used to take the late summer large zucchini, slice lengthwise in half, scoop out the middle and then stuff them and bake them. She used to make it with ground beef, though I suppose you could make any stuffing you want. Plenty of examples on line.

• roarah
    6 years ago

I was a a lunch this weekend and the host made a zucchini lasagna for her aunt with celiac it was lovely. She sliced the zucchini length wise and used that instead of noodles and layered as usual.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Zoodles!

• OllieJane
    6 years ago

We chop up zucchini and squash onto a big square of tin foil-then top with a can Roitel and a big scoop of Cheez Whiz-wrap it up and throw it on the grill with our Tri Tip Roast. So yummy dipping the sliced Tri Tip in the melted cheese while eating. I guess you could put it in the oven too.

eta: I also serve it with Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. Not a "light" meal, but a requested meal from my son often.

• Fori
    6 years ago

Oh yes I forgot about lasagna, although I use slices in addition to noodles. Mustn't get too healthy!

I don't mind it steamed/boiled and tossed with butter, herbs, and parmesan. Everything is better with cheese.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

Zoodles! (used in place of pasta). We love zuke roasted (with an assortment of other veggies). Stuffed. There's a good zucchini pie recipe (I believe it might be a bisquick recipe and another good one - zucchini casserole maybe? It's not very calorie friendly, uses club crackers. We like it fried, sauteed, roasted, etc. but not boiled and I don't "cook" anything in the microwave. Oh, zuke "fries" are also good. I'm going to try Bumble's suggestion!!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well some of the cooked dishes sound good though we don't cook much inside when it's hot outside. I guess I'll stick them in the fridge and maybe try something this weekend. I see from the old thread that I'm not the only one who doesn't like this stuff. I kind of remember that from last year though I completely ignored it since I don't care for zucchini and didn't have any last year.

• User
    6 years ago

To me, lightly steamed summer squash with a little butter, salt and pepper tastes just like sweet corn. Yum!

• lisaam
    6 years ago

If you are cooking outside anyway have you tried grilling the zucchini in a basket? I used to hate summer squash back when it was steamed, but roasting at a high temp or grilling improve the flavor and texture.

• bpath
    6 years ago

Is there anything easier to prep than zucchini? Grating, slicing, spiralizing, it's a breeze.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

I was late to the zucchini lovefest - my parents grew an extensive garden but never planted zuchs or summer squash. These are a few ways I use them now:

Cut into thick half rounds and skewer with teriyaki beef tips, red bell pepper, red onion and grill.

For the zucchini, cut whole on the diagonal in to thick slices. Pan fry in olive oil with similarly sliced fennel bulb. Season with salt & pepper, squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a bit of parmasean cheese.

For the yellow squash, cut into thin half rounds - saute in butter with similarly cut red skinned apple (Jonagold, Gala) and coarsely chopped red onion. Fresh thyme, salt/pepper. This is really good with pork.

Calabacitis:

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/vegetable/mexican-zucchini-or-yellow-neck-squash-calabasitas.html

• chispa
    6 years ago

3katz, I'll join you in the "don't care for zuchini" corner! The problem with growing your own vegetables is that it usually ends up being "all or nothing" of a particular type of vegetable. Dh plants stuff, we are getting tomatoes now ... how many can you use before you get sick of them! I'm not into preserving or canning. We waste a lot of what he grows.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Well, for tomatoes, you can always make them into sauce and freeze that. I guess that for zucchini you could make English style marrow and ginger jam, thought I never cared much for that.

But zoodles don't need cooking unless you want to. Just heat up your sauce and dump 'em in.

• User
    6 years ago

I don't grow zucchini, because It's easy enough to buy at the farmers' market this time of year. I devote precious garden space to tomatoes ... the ones I love. They're history now (just pulled the plants), but for more than 2 months straight they were savored every day. Sometimes multiple times a day.

• Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

You can also just freeze tomatoes and use them to make sauce later.

• satine_gw
    6 years ago

cut the zucchini lengthwise then into slices. Saute in olive olil along with thinly sliced onion. When cooked drain any liquid and add a couple of beaten eggs. Top with parm. Salt and pepper to taste. Yum

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I'm not sure why we struggle to find uses for a prolific, pretty tasteless, devoid of much nutrition vegetable in the first place. I actually like it, but wouldn't feel bad if I had too much just composting it. Everyone seems to try to find a home for their extras and usually the give-aways are overripe and useless as far as I'm concerned. People may enjoy getting your CSA zukes if they are prime.

That said, here is my favorite zucchini recipe and I'm actually going to buy some at the farmer's market tomorrow to make this because they are delicious. I may have posted it on other zucchini threads, but I didn't check the links:

Mollie Katzen's Zucchini Feta Pancakes (more like a fritter).

(“Moosewood Cookbook” Mollie Katzen) One usually thinks of a pancake supper as a generally starchy affair. However, the bulk of these lovely pancakes consists of eggs and zucchini ­with just enough flour to bind them. This makes enough to comfortably fill four average ­sized persons.

About 30 minutes to prepare, before frying.

4 packed cups coarsely grated zucchini

4 eggs, separated

1 heaping cup finely crumbled feta cheese

½ cup minced scallions

¾ tsp dried mint

salt and black pepper

1/3 cup flour

butter for frying

sour cream or yogurt for topping

Place the grated zucchini in a colander in a bowl, salt it lightly and let it stand 15 minutes. Rinse it, and squeeze out all excess water.

Combine squeezed zucchini, egg yolks, feta, scallions, flour, and spices. Mix well.Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Fold into first mixture.

Fry in butter, on both sides, until golden and crisp. Serve topped with sour cream or yogurt.

• trickyputt
    6 years ago

CSA Zukes ..Confederate States of America? Its very true that what was left as unpalatable vegetation like peas such as black eye peas were snubbed and left by bean eating Union Forces as they razed the Southern States. To this day we eat a New Years day meal with those peas as they were considered "Lucky" as they prevented starvation. I never read about Zukes in that historical light, but it might be an interesting read.

• User
    6 years ago

Uh...that's Community Supported Agriculture lol...

• trickyputt
    6 years ago

Who knew...still gotta read about it!

• Bonnie
    6 years ago

We grill it and brush with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, topped with seasonings. The key is to not overlook it.

• tinam61
    6 years ago

I always cook zoodles (don't overcook). I don't freeze/can much either, but I make pasta sauce from the abundance of tomatoes and freeze that. It is delish! We have tomatoes here throughout summer and into the fall. Maybe not that long if it's been very dry but this year has been great (rain-wise) so should still have them for a while.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

devoid of much nutrition vegetable

Not sure why you say that. It's definitely lacking the carotenoids found in yellow squash, but it's still fairly decent nutritionally, if not a superfood.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=62

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Writersblock, I stand corrected. It does have a fair amount of Vitamins A and C, although C can be destroyed by heat/cooking. Thanks.

• chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

My husband and I went out to dinner tonight, and I ordered zucchini cake for dessert. The batter was baked in individual muffin tins and topped with a chunky blueberry glaze just before serving. I think the glaze was just blueberries cooked down with sugar, cornstarch and water. The cake had walnuts in it too. Very good and nice that you could make and freeze them for later and add a sauce then. You could probably do a chocolate sauce too. Since we're regulars at the restaurant, I asked the waiter for the recipe and he was going to ask the pastry chef when he saw her. If I get it, I'll post it.

• neetsiepie
    6 years ago

I once had a proliferation and luckily got it picked small. I don't like it myself, but DH does. He had his fill of sauteed zucchini and yellow squash so I just diced it up and froze small baggies of it to throw into soups in the winter time. Because it's so watery, it doesn't reconstitute well after freezing, but you might try it in zucchini bread later when it's cool enough to turn the oven on.

As for tomatoes-yeah, I just blanched them, peeled them and threw them in freezer bags to use for sauce later on. I actually did that with a lot of left over veggies.

Right now it's been so hot bananas are ripening faster than we can eat them, so I peel them, break them into chunks, throw them into freezer bags and use frozen pieces in smoothies later on. Just about the only food that never goes to waste is lettuce-I can't figure out what to do with that after it gets too wilty.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Neetsiepie, see if you can persuade him to try zephyr squash next year. It's not nearly as productive as most summer squashes, but so pretty and you can eat it raw like an apple.

• User
    6 years ago

I was looking for a rollatini recipe and came across this in one of my recipe binders this morning. I've never tried it ... guess it's time.

http://savoringtimeinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2010/08/baked-zucchini-pie.html

Baked Zucchini Pie
    Inspired by this recipe from Real Simple

3 cups grated zucchini, excess moisture squeezed out
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup grated provolone cheese
    1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
    3 eggs, beaten
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (reserve 1 tablespoon)
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10 inch round glass pie plate lightly with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine all the ingredients except for 1 tablespoon of
    the reserved Parmesan cheese and blend gently. Spoon the mixture into
    the prepared pie plate.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and
    sprinkle with the reserved Parmesan. Cool for about 10 minutes before
    slicing.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

Zucchini and yellow crookneck are favorites of mine, cooked in a number of tasty ways all spring and summer. Did anyone mention browned patties? We also like them on skewers, side by side with mushrooms and chunks of onion, all marinated in a zesty Italian dressing.

This year, though, we got into using the flowers much more than usual. They are so nice raw, stuffed with whatever you like.

• schoolhouse_gw
    6 years ago

Wasn't it recently where I saw it was "Leave a zucchini on your neighbor's doorstep" day? I know I read it somewhere. lol

• Nothing Left to Say
    6 years ago

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. Donate excess produce to your local food bank. I'd call first to make sure they will take it, but I know of two in two different states that will, so I think it is likely you can find one.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I've had a bumper crop of zucchini this year. I've never had so much and so early. I've given lots away to a friend who makes zucchini relish and she's given me a jar of it. What goes around comes around.

At this very minute I've got stuffed zucchini in the oven. It's an improv dish, no recipe.

Spiralize, use as pasta, cooked or uncooked.

I have a couple of big boys that I'd like to turn into zucchini bread or one of those pies CindyMac posted.

I love young zucchini sautéed in butter all by itself, but they get big so fast.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I just made some zucchini bread, some to eat now, some to freeze. I didn't realize you could freeze grated zucchini so I'm going to do some of that. I mean, right now, I have zucchini coming out of my ears, but in a couple of months I'm gonna get a hankering for zucchini pancakes and something to toss into pasta, soup, eggs, etc.

• daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

This year I grew yellow zucchini instead of green and found they taste much better. I just slice and saute in a bit of butter and sometimes grate some parm cheese over top.

The yellow also grow much nicer in the garden - sort of up and contained rather than sprawling everywhere. I have a small city lot and so it's nice to have something that doesn't take over the whole garden space.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Got another one in the box this week. Of the previous four, I used 1/2 of one in salad - the other half went south. I sautéed another one with some other stuff that came in my box - kale, onions and garlic scapes along with the zucchini. It all got eaten and DH said it was better than expected. I gave two to my BIL. So will revisit the above ideas for using the new one this weekend.

i got a massive amount of beautiful basil this week. I'm making an orzo salad that uses a lot but now I need to come up with more basil ideas. Some pesto like thing I guess as I also got garlic in the box.

• yeonassky
    6 years ago

I enjoy zucchini chips with different dips. I love particularly love them with salsa and mustard sauce.

• l pinkmountain
    6 years ago

For the basil, I saw a recipe online for pasta with pesto and shrimp. That is on my "to try" list.

Oh, speaking of basil and garlic, zucchini is great in ratatouille! You can freeze that too. Not as spectacular as fresh, but good to add to a lot of things, like spaghetti or pizza or quiche or beans and rice, etc.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Made the zucchini pie last night. I would make it again but with more seasoning. It was a little too bland for my taste as is zucchini itself but overall I liked it and it used up the two zucchini I had on hand.

• User
    6 years ago

3katz, thanks for the review. I haven't bought any zucchini this summer. Found this recipe on Facebook and might try it this weekend. May tweak seasoning and serve with salsa instead of marinara.

http://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a54806/zucchini-cheesy-bread-recipe/

• neetsiepie
    6 years ago

At a company BBQ this week, someone brought in a pie that looked like apple, but she confessed it was made with zuchinni! It was really good-not as sweet as apple, and it didn't have that slightly grainy texture apple pie has. I didn't get the recipe, but she said she'd share it. I figured that was one more way to use up all those zuchinni

• trickyputt
    6 years ago

What a quiche pie?

• party_music50
    6 years ago

Lots of rain, lots of big zucchini. lol! A few years ago, someone on the cooking forum posted this zucchini pickle recipe. I love it!!! I just use some regular yellow onion (vs white onions and shallots), and I sub about 1 tsp crushed red pepper if I don't use fresh hot pepper.

Zucchini Pickles

3 medium zucchini (1 pound / 16 oz / 450 g), thinly sliced

1 medium white onion, thinly sliced

3 shallots, thinly sliced

1 1/2 tablespoons fine grain sea salt

1/4 cup (small handful) fresh dill sprigs
    1 small fresh red chile pepper, very thinly sliced
    1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds

3/4 cup / 180 ml cider vinegar

3/4 cup / 180 ml white wine vinegar

1/3 cup / 1.75 oz / 50g natural cane sugar

Toss the zucchini, onion, shallots, and salt together in a colander
    and place over a bowl to catch the liquids. Cover the bowl and
    refrigerate for at least a couple hours. Toss once or twice along the
    way. You're aiming to get as much liquid out of the zucchini as
    possible.

When you're finished draining the zucchini, shake off any
    water. At this point you want the zucchini as dry as possible. Place in a
    1 liter / 1 quart jar along with the dill, chile pepper, and mustard
    seeds.

Combine the ciders and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
    Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar dissolves, and continue to
    boil for a few minutes. Pour the liquid over the zucchini and seal the
    jar. Let cool, then refrigerate. The pickles are good for a couple weeks.

Makes one large jar.

• party_music50
    6 years ago

I just remembered that one of my FB friends posted this link for Lemon Zucchini Cake that I definitely want to try -- it looks fabulous!!!!

Lemon Zucchini Cake

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH