SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_fox42

Lower ceiling in kitchen or exposed beams?

Sara Fox
6 years ago

We are having a large open plan kitchen extension in our Victorian home with high ceilings. However due to the orientation of the extension (it extends diagonally from the rest of the house), and the relatively large size of the new open space, the beams are quite intrusive and in odd directions. There are large diagonal beams going in different directions and a funny square shaped beam structure which means the ceiling would be very strange! As a result I think I should lower the ceiling height to below the beams so it is all one level, I will then add two roof lights at either end of the room to create a big more height. New ceiling height will be 234cm and I wondered what people thought would be best? We want a big island and ideally pendant lights which may not look right with low ceilings but the alternative of exposing the beams would still cause issues for pendant lighting as beams would be going across the island in a diagonal and unsymmetrical fashion/prohibiting any kind of symmetrical pendant lighting. Thought of nothing else for days /trying to decide so I appreciate any thoughts! Aware that I don't want the room to look cramped from low ceilings but equally it will be distracting and strange having all the beams exposed...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor