SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missindie1

Spray faucets. What do you have and why do you love (or hate) it?

Chessie
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I need to choose a faucet, and am overwhelmed with the many models. I am only interested in Kohler, Delta, or Moen, and I prefer a sleek look. I've always had a separate sprayer so these pull-downs are new to me, and I know several people that have them, and every one of them complain about the head not staying in place. That would drive me nuts. Please tell me you have one that works like it should? I like the idea of the spary/sweep feature - I think that is on the Moen's. Anyone have one of these? Has it held up?

Comments (40)

• leela4
    6 years ago

We have this faucet: Brizo Venuto. We've had it for 7 years and not one problem with it. I especially like the magnetic docking and that the toggle switch stays on (either spray or stream) without having to hold the switch. Brizo is made by Delta.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Not what you want to hear: I have a Moen pull-out, which I initially loved. My neighbors also had the same (they don’t make the model anymore). Initially it functioned well. Over a 2-year period I was unable to re-dock it completely; the spray button didn’t always work so half the time turning it on I’d get hosed unexpectedly. Neighbors had the same issues. We both requested replacement parts, we both installed them, we both continue to have the same issues and more. Will be replacing it with another brand pull-out. I'm still looking too.

• Related Discussions

Do you love/hate your hood/hood liner? Why?

Q

Comments (3)
    I have written about my Tradewind liner many times on here . It is wonderful. We have used it hard for 7 years. It is quiet and efficient and easy to clean . We have a 1400 cfm/54" wide system with the roof mounted blower. Sjerin has the unit also, after reading my reviews. and told me on another thread the other day how great it is. Our GC built the custom surround for the liner. He installed all duct work and the roof blower. It is wonderfully quiet and I only use it on low or med most of the time. We stir fry and deep fry a lot so I have tested it to the max for years. I remove the baffles weekly and clean them. They are always a mess :) A great sign. After all these years I have never cleaned one spot of grease off of my open shelves adjacent to the cooking area or off of the wood surround. No need to...it all goes on the baffles. I hope that you can find what will serve you well. Oh and no I do not have nor did I need make up air. We have 11 and 12 ft ceilings in an 1890 home so there is plenty of air. I have no problem with my gas fire places while using the blower. Here are 2 pics and if you click on it there are many more in the albums. c
    ...See More

Honed Caesarstone - do you have it? Love it? Hate it?

Q

Comments (7)
    Ditto sas95. We had seriously looked at Quartz products and I was drawn to honed finishes. The fabricator/Stone yard told us that many quartz makers are no longer doing honed finishes, or very little because they are harder to maintain and were not holding up well. We ended up going with a granite, so it was a moot point for us and I can't share any personal experiences.
    ...See More

Pull Down Faucet - Spray Hold Feature - Why do I need it?

Q

Comments (16)
    We don't find it to be a detriment. We chose our Grohe Ladylux Cafe because it felt good in our hands, and ergonomically seemed like it would work really well (e.g. size-wise, getting inside smaller pots and pans, and the tight corners of our sink). We didn't (still don't) LOVE the look of our faucet (they've since come out with a sleeker version), but for a kitchen workhorse, went with function over form. The need to hold down the spray button wasn't a big factor in that decision.
    ...See More

Do you have Microsoft Edge? I hate it, what do I do?

Q

Comments (19)
    mmmm I just got a new computer with Windows 10 but my son downloaded Chrome on to it which is what I had before on my Windows 7 and never had an issue.. I wonder if it came with Edge because something keeps telling me that my internet is down, like just now, but I know it isn't. I have Norton on it as well. The one thing I haven't done is add Adblock which i had before. I wonder if I should add it. But this internet business is driving me nuts, but I'll have to wait until he comes home.
    ...See More
  • Chessie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah I don't care for the pull-out models. I've tried them and find them to be not comfortable to me, to use. I want a pull-down. The spray/sweep I was talking about is on the Kohler's, not Moen. That Brizo is WAY too pricey for my pocketbook.

I have tried the current models, and I guess I am just used to the way a side sprayer feels in my hand. The pull-downs almost feel too delicate somehow, like there is just not enough there to get a good grip on. Does anyone else feel this way or is this just a "get used to it" thing?

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Chess, I had separate (side) sprayers before my current kitchen and truly loved my pull-out more for it's ease of use, until it had issues - that being said, my last separate (side) sprayer started leaking (that would be due to poor/cheap quality). I think if you find a quality faucet, you will enjoy the benefits/functionality of what you desire - and I don't mean you have to spend big bucks like the Brizo. I'm going again with a pull-out at a prep sink as I wish to fill pots on the side of the sink and a pull-out is more ergonomic for that purpose - your needs are different from mine.

The reviews for many of the Kohler pull-downs seem pretty positive!

Chessie thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • Sue 430
    6 years ago

I love my kohler sensate. Functions very smoothly and jumps right back into place when you're done.

Chessie thanked Sue 430
  • caligirl5
    6 years ago

I have Delta Cassidy and no complaints. I don't have much to compare it to, but here are some small points I could think of:

M y mom complains that on her hansgrohe faucet, once you switch to spray you can't switch back easily (if I remember you have to turn off the faucet), but mine has a toggle.

Also I think the Delta chrome finish is nice. I have a Delta chrome faucet in my bathtub and Kohler chrome overlow plate, and Kohler is worse for water spots.

Edit: Re-read your post and see you asked about durability--I've only had mine a few months so time will tell!

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

You might want to look at the Delta Trinsic. It gets great reviews here and looks very sleek and simple.

• kelleg69
    6 years ago

I have a pull-out. I know it isn't what you want. I think pull out or pull down is WAY better than a side sprayer. I can't stand those. My sis-in-law has a side sprayer--very fancy bridge faucet. She says it isn't very functional. When I have used it, I agree with her. The pressure in the side sprayer isn't as good. Anyway, I would definitely get a pull down over side sprayer.

• prairiemom61
    6 years ago

We've had our Delta Waterfall with magnet docking for at least 15 years. We love it! Have only had to replace the cartridge twice, for dripping. I use it daily to spray down our sink. No problems with redocking at all. Still looks like new.

• prairiemom61
    6 years ago

Delta 978-DST Leland Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet with Magnetic Docking Spray Head -

• prairiemom61
    6 years ago

• Fori
    6 years ago

I have two pulldowns. They both have pretty bulky heads--you don't need to get something delicate if you don't want to! Hansgrohe "Allegro Pro something" (these don't have an option to turn the spray off except by turning off the water, which can be annoying) and American Standard "Colony" something cheap from an emergency trip to the hardware store. The heads on both seat fine after years unless the hoses have interference with something in the cabinet.

• PRO
    Efficiency Plumbing & Remodeling, INC
    6 years ago

Symmons valves are interchangeable with different trims, that is what I recommend. Delta is on the lower end and Kohler is very nice.

• Sammy
    6 years ago

(these don't have an option to turn the spray off except by turning off the water, which can be annoying)

Are you talking about a pause function, Fori? If so, that's the one feature I desperately want but haven't been able to find on the faucets that otherwise check all the boxes in terms of being "perfect!"

• Sammy
    6 years ago

FYI: Chess--Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you never have to hold down a trigger on a pull down or pullout-style faucet (like you do on a faucet with a separate side spray) since you're not diverting water from one place to another (unless it's a commercial-style faucet with a separate pre-rinse spray.) I see this question asked probably the most frequently of all when I'm reading product Q & As.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 years ago

Not one of your preferred brands, but my Price Pfister Sedgewick pull-down has been in use for 3.5 years now.

What I like:

spray head is comfortable in my hand

flow of water is strong

switch to alternate between spray and regular flow is right under my fingers and works well -- can switch back and forth while the water is running

hose is flexible and long enough that I can fill a pot sitting on the counter or rinse down a tall item like a refrigerator shelf

spray head clicks firmly back into place (but, unlike some other brands, you can't just let go and have it retract completely -- it will retract, but that last few millimeters to click needs your touch)

good height on the faucet for tall pots and workspace in general

brushed nickel finish is holding up

No real negatives as far as I am concerned, for how I cook and use the faucet.

Chessie thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • mrspete
    6 years ago

I have a builder's basic spray from probably the 70s, and I never use it ... but my daughter has a pull down faucet, and I love using it.

• Chessie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sammy, I think that would make sense. If you have the water on and you pull out/down the faucet head, I would not expect it to go off. The water just would be coming out in a normal stream, until you press the spray button, correct? Isn't that how these typically work? What WOULD be nice, is if there was a button that changed the spray pattern, such as on the Kohlers. They have a "blade" spray, which sounds cool for cleaning off dishes, but I can't find anywhere that says if there is any other type of spray pattern available.

• Fori
    6 years ago

My American Standard has a switch on it that turns from regular flow to spray, and back again. It also has a pause button that I never use and had forgotten about.

It doesn't match my new kitchen that great but I reused it at the prep sink because it functions so nicely. (I would have picked another style if there were options at the time of purchase but have no complaints with the thing aside from looking sort of generic dorky--I'd recommend AS based on my experience.)

The Hansgrohe only has a button that turns the regular flow to spray. No button to return to regular flow again--it returns to normal flow when the water is turned off and on again. If I'm spray washing a lot of produce with a foot pedal control (like Tapmaster, which I like very much), the Hansgrohe stinks because it doesn't stay in spray mode when it's turned off while the AS is just right.

• bpath
    6 years ago

I have a Price Pfister pull-out that I like very much. I had another pull-out in my utility sink in the previous house. I've used a pull-down only a few times so maybe I just have to get used to it, but I would get another pull-out in a flash.

Chessie thanked bpath
  • Bunny
    6 years ago

I have a Hansgrohe Talis C with pull-down sprayer. I use it ALL the time. The only thing I'd change about it is you have to turn the water off/on to return to a normal stream. I wish the spray button was a toggle switch.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    6 years ago

HEE-HEE!

I was extremely neurotic/specific in regards to my faucet, everyone looked at me with big eyes.

As I am a retired hospitality executive, I LOVE industrial faucets. I do the shopping/prep/cooking and hubs does the cleaning.

My home faucet had to be a gooseneck pull down, with a lever, (not some gimpy button), a long reach, a smooth yet strong stream that doesn't splash in my deep sink.

Our architect gave us a KWC faucet as a "gift", (he had ordered it for a different client, she hated it and he couldn't return it) but it was too big for us.

I got the http://www.signaturehardware.com/levi-gooseneck-kitchen-faucet-with-pull-down-spring-spout.html in chrome.

We love it, it looks like a piece of art.

• Chessie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL! Wow that is a faucet!

• Chessie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pretty sure I am getting the Kohler Simplice model.

• bpath
    6 years ago

Oh, also, the Price Pfister was put in by the previous owner, probably in the 1990s. A small problem arose for us in about 2008. I called Price Pfister, and they sent out a new one, no charge. I did have to pay for an install (I installed a faucet once, and decided that, given the style of cabinet we have, I would pay for someone else to install it.)When they say "guaranteed for life", they mean it.

• blubird
    6 years ago

Delta Arabella for 7 years. Head still docks properly, and you switch easily from,stream to spray. Previous experience with Delta is that they support their products for a long time.

• Chessie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

bpathome, that is good to hear. I have read lots of reviews on plumbing forums, and the PP's are regularly trounced in favor of the other 3. And my fabricator told me to stick with the big 3 as well. But I have PP in my bathroom sink and I love it.

• Fori
    6 years ago

I had a Kohler Simplice. It was the reason I had an emergency hardware store purchase of my American Standard. :)

• Chessie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

There are lemons in every brand, for sure. The reviews of the Simplice are excellent, so keeping my fingers crossed. :-)

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

We put the Simplice in the house we live in now which is temporary housing. My younger dd also has it and loves it.

older dd has the Artisan and I have used it. I LOVE it and may put it in my new house. She used the big Artisan on both her clean up sink and her prep sink. Bonus...it is really pretty.

• Chessie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ILoveRed, I've never seen any of the Artisan faucets in person. Actually had never heard of them. I checked the website and there are several models. Which one is it you are referring to?

Also, I'm sure I am in the minority - but I am getting a CHROME faucet. I like shine in the kitchen. :-)

• Toronto Veterinarian
    6 years ago

"I have a Hansgrohe Talis C with pull-down sprayer. I use it ALL the
    time. The only thing I'd change about it is you have to turn the water
    off/on to return to a normal stream. I wish the spray button was a
    toggle switch.
    "

I have a Hansgrohe Metris, which I love, but I agree about the lack of a toggle. It has turned out not to be a hardship though, since typically I use spray or normal flow, and I haven't yet found the need to switch between the two during the same job.

KWC makes some stunning faucets.......I fell in love with the Zoe (https://www.kwcswiss.com.au/kwc-zoe---products) the instant I saw it, and that lasted until I saw the price :(

• annac54
    6 years ago

I have a Delta Leyland also. It's the first pull down I've had, so I don't have anything to compare it to. However, it has a magnetic docking, so it always locks back in place. It also has a feature I wanted, that it stay in either spray or stream mode until you manually switch it. If it's in spray mode and I turn off the faucet, it will still be in spray mode when I turn it back on. We've had it for 7 years now and no complaints. We have the brushed stainless finish and it's fine.

• Chessie
    Original Author
    6 years ago

LOL! I'd have to win the lottery to spend that much on a faucet!! :-)

• chicagoans
    6 years ago

I've had my Kohler Clairette for at least 10 years (kept it when I renovated my kitchen because I liked it so well) and I've never had a problem with functionality or finish. The spray stays on until I switch it to stream (and vice versa) with a little toggle button. It would bug me to have to hold a button to keep the spray on, or if it reset when I turn off the water.

I don't have a problem with it not going back in place. However, if you pull down the sprayer/head and just leave it, it will dangle; it doesn't retract on its own. But the magnet is strong enough to hold it in place once the head is back near the starting point. (My BF leaves it dangling sometimes just to annoy me.) <<(after I wrote that I realized that sounds kinda dirty, but I'm talking about the faucet!)

FWIW I got mine from Kohler. I've read that the big box stores might sell the same brands but lesser quality - not sure how that works but just saying.

ETA: do you have a Pirch, Kohlers showroom, or similar store near you that has faucets hooked up to water sources? That might help make a decision. My mom bought a Grohe years ago that she replaced after just a couple months because the sprayer didn't stay on without holding the button. Had she been able to test it she would have known and never purchased it. It was a $500+ faucet that the store wouldn't let her return.

• ILoveRed
    6 years ago

Chess..here it is on her prep sink in chrome. It's also on her other sink in the same size but I don't have a picture. I will find out the height from her tonight.

Chessie thanked ILoveRed
  • azalea11
    6 years ago

I have Kohler Simplice in matte black. I love it. It has good magnet - so the head stays in place, as well as a pause button, and can switch from regular flow and back. I prefer this pull-down model than a separate sprayer.

Chessie thanked azalea11
  • Nileen J
    5 years ago

Mawizz, how is your Delta Ashton holding up?

• HU-663915841
    4 years ago

We have a Delta pull down and I must say that we absolutely HATE it. There is no water temperature control. It is either scalding hot and then if you move the handle just a slight hare, it is freezing cold. There is no warm or anything even close to warm water. I complained to Delta and told them that this was a $600. faucet (at Lowes) and it is just a huge POS. They did eventually send me a different one that was a different model. Sad to say that it operates exactly the same. I will NEVER buy another Delta faucet. If I could rate the faucet with negative stars it would get a 5+.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!