SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Your Best Roses in the Summer Heat

Someone, often me, asks this question every summer, and the answers are always interesting. This year, in my case and if we are talking about temperatures of 95 degrees and above, for the first time I would have to say, none. Solar radiation has increased to such a degree in a very short time that there isn't a single rose that isn't affected to some degree. Roses that receive only a very few hours of morning sun are not very much affected, but to include them is almost like cheating.

How about your experiences? I'd like to think that many of you are more fortunate and can name a few roses that can still stand up to your summer heat.

Comments (44)

• Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

Totally in full,hot, all day sun, and still blooming without frying? Bolero and Mel's Heritage. I know Bolero isn't an OGR, but the blooms rival any David Austin, IMO. It does great in the heat, and makes beautiful, long lasting cut flowers. Lisa

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lisa, something tells me you're going to be an enabler for Mel's Heritage. Since my order from Burling isn't arriving until October it would be easy to add Mel.

• Related Discussions

Best Smelling roses that will take high heat

Q

Comments (14)
    Tiffany doesn't sweat the heat one bit. And it is a super-sweet-smelling rose. It definitely will blackspot without protection but seems to tolerate it, that is, it'll keep growing and blooming just fine with the disease. Surely, though it will look neater if some kind of spray regimen is practiced. Tiffany's offspring, Belinda's Dream, is even healthier without a spray routine, though to my nose a little less fragrant. Still, it has a definite and quite respectible fragrance and is probably as carefree a hybrid-tea-style rose as one can find. I'll second Pope John Paul II as a great, fragrant white (it does have a butter-cream colored center) that shrugs at the heat. Beautiful form blooms, too, if not the straighest cutting stems. Chrysler Imperial has that intensely damask fragrance that is classic rose, and it does better for me in summer than in very cool weather. Blue Moon I've only had for two years, so I'm still evaluating it. It tends to go in cycles of a lot of blooms then just an occasional one, then a lot again. Don't know if that is a product of its immaturity or a permanent feature. But it doesn't seem that the summer heat phases it much. And Oh, what a fragrance! I love this one. Beautiful, cool lavender coloring, too; not the pinkish tone of many mauve roses. Mike
    ...See More

Summer vacation advice....Texas heat and leaving my roses!

Q

Comments (5)
    michaelg, I have been told to do that and never have, but good reminder. The drip irrigation is a bit harder to determine, as this is the hose with holes every foot or so, so it is not a tube directly feeding each plant, but I will see what the rest of the system does. I am curious how long an average system runs...and I know time should not be the measurement, but wondering if I am way off. Thanks for the input, and I will do that. Jeri, great idea. I am hoping to get the remainders of my "in pot's" in the ground...but 106 today!! It is so hard to leave these unattended. On your timers, how long do you run them? TOO, I have wondered if I debudded roses in hotter areas of the yard, if that would help destress them. I recall one year I pruned a bit, and ended up killing a few, as I guess they took that as a sign to grow. But debudding? Sounds like an option. What do you think?
    ...See More

best border plants for summer heat

Q

Comments (6)
    If your sun is morning sun, Dianthus should work there. They do slow down in mid-summer, start blooming again in the fall and pretty much bloom all winter unless we have a freeze. Mine came through the freeze and are blooming again now. Some of them will die out if they get too hot. Verbena would work well there too and can take more sun. They are annuals and will need to be replaced each year.
    ...See More

Roses in the Early Summer Heat

Q

Comments (13)
    Ingrid, your photos have made me love Potter and Moore. It tolerates the heat ok? Your Souvenir de la Malmaison.... it's perfect. I'm in awe. I'm also convinced we need to get our irrigation system set up asap.... it has been hot here too, now finally back to regular June weather. Marlorena, I know that feeling! A few years ago there was a terrible heat wave in Toronto and my attic apartment had no air conditioning. Despite massive ceiling fans and my giving the (then two) dogs little baths all day long, they looked so miserable and overheated I finally packed an overnight bag, called a cab, and we became refugees in my friend's icy air-conditioned condo until the temperatures went back to normal. I was really desperate for them.
    ...See More
  • needmoremulch
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Souvenir de la Malmaison loves our heat. Bloom form, size, and fragrance stay nice. Belinda's Dream is another humid heat lover. Some of my Kordes roses are promising (Plum Perfect, South Africa, Earth Angel). Felicia has surprised me by how much she has bloomed. Vincent Godsif blooms all the time, Lafter does well, and Perle d'Or and Cecile Brunner haven't slowed down at all. All the chinas and teas bloom but the blooms are mostly lower quality. Caldwell Pink aka PInk Pet is another good summer bloomer.

ETA: Maggie and Blush Noisette

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked needmoremulch
  • Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    6 years ago

The roses listed below started growing once temperatures dipped into the (94- under 110-degree range). Blush Noisette and Annie Laurie Mc Dowell have proven to be the most heat tolerant. ALM created smaller blooms and the leaves did not crisp when temperatures in its area hit 125 degrees with less than 10% humidity.

Maman Cochet

Blush Noisette

Annie Laurie Mc Dowell

Baronne Prevost

White Pet

Grandmother's Hat

Mme. Lombard

Maggie

Le Vesuve

Souvenir du President Lincoln

La France.. old modern

Mrs. B.R. Cant

Rose de Rescht

Vineyard Song

Comte de Chambord

SDLM Rouge

Siren's Keep

There are others, but many are modern roses and/or Austins

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • luxrosa
    6 years ago

It's cooler here in the S.F. Bay area in California, where the temps are more often in the 80's F. than 90's, but these are blooming very well

Rosette Delizy

Duchess de Brabant

K.A.V. climbing

Alliance Franco-Russe

Westside Road Cream Tea

Susan Louise

Lamarque seems to be drought tolerant ( I only water it once a month in summer)

Mrs. Dudley Cross, huge blooms, the color of creamy custard edged with pink and after a few days washed with cerise, wonderful penetrating Tea rose fragrance,

Monsieur Tillier

Compte de Chambord

Mlle. Cecille Brunner and Spray C.B. never stop blooming it seems.

Perle d'Or

Reve D'or in half shade is a very happy bloomer.

I plan on replacing these two because their blooms appear tired and drooping shortly after opening;

Mlle. F.K.

Souvenir de Pierre Notting I've been planning to dig this up for years but its' so big I keep putting it off. an ugly brown ruff of petals, appears 2-3 days after it opens. The Tea ladies in Austalia mentions this in their book. Truly I'm a great fan of Tea roses but I believe this rose would not have made its way into commerce if it were bred today.

Lux

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked luxrosa
  • haku84_zone9
    6 years ago

Im in inland SoCal our summer temps rests between 90s to 105. For me Grande Dame has proven to take the summer heat the best. The majority of my roses are not mature yet so time will tell.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked haku84_zone9
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    6 years ago

Mystic Beauty just keeps on blooming. Temps have been in the high 90s the last week or so, but are going down a bit this week. If the temps return to the high 90s-100s in August, that will be the real test for heat tolerance.

Kate

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
    6 years ago

You know I sure do get that same radiant heat here Ingrid.

The cooler nights here and clay soil probably make a difference, but here's a few in your color scheme that are still blooming now... can you believe it? Not all are antique roses.

Mitsouko. Strong fragrance, like pink starburst candy to me and my daughter. Is that what Mitsouko parfum smells like? Color changing. Often creamy pink in the heat here instead of yellow. You know how hot that stone gets. It gets shade in the early evening. Sun the rest of the day and all that radiant heat!

Summer Romance, First Crush and Madame Anisette (left to right). All strongly fragrant and right up against that hot stone wall. Southern exposure. Still blooming! It's unbelievable.

Peppermint Parfait, Lovesong (short standard tree rose) and Cafe Ole. This wall is eastern exposure so they get more shade, but still lots of radiant heat! You asked about Peppermint Parfait before. It handles the heat well with some shade. You had Lovesong before too didn't you? Mine does great there near the wall but it does get shade in the afternoon. Excuse the funky pruning.... I recently harvested it for a bouquet.

Homere. I really love this little rose. It has bloomed nonstop since spring when it started.

I will keep my blooming reds to myself, but there are a few.

;-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
  • User
    6 years ago

My conditions aren't exactly the same. I have high heat but with high humidity. Mine get afternoon sun only.

Cecile Brunner (shrub) always looks good no matter what.

My new Enfant de France is also doing well. Even though it's not blooming, the foliage looks great.. It may be too young for summer rebloom.

Of all the Portlands I've had through the years, Rose du Roi (commerce) is the first to rebloom in the middle of summer for me. It currently has two fat buds growing on a small, young plant. The foliage isn't completely clean, but more of it looks nice than others in this class that I've tried. (On that note Duchess of Portland looks pretty good, too, but it has not bloomed since spring. But this is a young plant as well.) I'm not expecting these to look good going into August, though I hope they continue to surprise me.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
  • barbarag_happy
    6 years ago

Mystic Beauty and Le Vesuve are the winners here, and G Nabonnand clearly is planning a big flush.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked barbarag_happy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wasn't necessarily thinking about whether the roses survive or bloom, but more about roses that fry and frizzle and look awful. My worst one is probably Mme. Antoine Mari, who right now is covered with buds, but as soon as they open the blooms turn flat as a pancake before frizzling into ugliness. Today it's only in the mid-eighties and they're still doing it. Admittedly in the sun it's probably well over 100 degrees. The roses that are least likely to do this are SdlM and Potter and Moore.

Cori Ann, thanks for the great pics. Your roses look really wonderful. Love Song has such beautiful flowers, and it looks like a little person with its arms spread out, wearing a short skirt. Adorable! Homere is definitely going on my short list of desirable roses in the heat!

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

You know who else likes SdlM?

Other roses blooming nicely here are 'Le Pactole', 'Bouquet tout fait', 'La Sylphide', "Cato's Cluster", 'Devoniensis' and 'Louise Darzens'. My roses get too much shade to fry, but they probably bloom less than they would with more sun...

Virginia

PS I had to look up the name of SdlM's insect frenemies... those are Fork-tailed Bush Katydid nymphs (Scudderia furcata): here's a closer look at another one:

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

Mme. Antoine Marie is horrible here too, Ingrid. Baronne Henriette de Snoy is not far behind. MAM will be replaced this Fall. My hope is that the tree planted somewhat in the vicinity will become large enough to provide dappled shade for BHdS. MAM is performing so horribly I do not think anything I am willing to do will help it through the Summers here.

I am getting rid of one of my Belinda's Dream too. I am beginning to think that the Earthkind roses perform well when a good dose of moisture accompanies the high temperatures, or maybe it is just far too hot and dry here for those cultivars.

• User
    6 years ago

The only roses that fry for me are the red Chinas, especially the ones that "tan" when exposed to sunlight. Those turn to potpourri in one afternoon.

• Natasha (Chandler AZ 9b) W
    6 years ago

All my roses are still young (1 year old or younger), so I don;t think I can say anything about their heat/dry tolerance. I can see that some of them are improving by getting older. Or just bigger in size. I'm sure Maggie will be doing much much better once it matures. Seems like Zephirine Drouhin is doing ok so far, better than others... Putting out one new basal cane the growth and size of which is not affected by heat (usually all heat growth is on the smallish side and doesn't look good). But ZD is in a little bit shadier spot than others.

G. Nabonand will leave my garden this fall I think. Just disappearing bit by bit ...

Lynn, how is your Hermosa doing? She was on my list to buy this fall to replace G.Nabonand...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Natasha (Chandler AZ 9b) W
    6 years ago

I just walked out to take a peek at Hermosa, Natasha. Both Hermosas are growing in full sun and look fine (no fried petals, but smallish blooms). Both Hermosa's are often ignored as I am so frequently looking across the path at something else. What caught my eye is Archduke Charles which is doing better than Hermosa.

Original Author
    6 years ago

desertgarden, I don't really want to get rid of Mme. Antoine Mari because it grew very quickly into a shapely bush and blooms constantly. On the other hand, if the blooms never look good, what's the use? I'll definitely give it a chance for another year. How interesting that your Belinda's Dream didn't do well either. I thought it was just me, and I watered that rose so much it was ridiculous. I finally got rid of it last year because it just never improved. I'm learning that no matter how much a rose is praised that's no guarantee that it will be a winner in my garden.

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

In 103, 110 heat index and a lot by concrete and stone, my best are Lemon Spice, SDLM, Jude the Obscure, Heritage, Grand Dame, and Memorial Day.

Incredibly vigorous and always loaded in blooms is Ebb Tide. Blooms packed on top of blooms but the color in no way resembles dark purple like it's supposed to. They look wild in colors from violet to magenta to pale pink, often on the same cane.

Amazing Grace had been having a tendency to look shriveled on a good day, but now that it's even hotter, they look great, go figure.

Best lavenders in my humid heat are Twice in a Blue Moon, Lagerfeld, Neptune, Singin' the Blues, and Violet's Pride.

The Sunbelt Series "Savannah" have been getting giant in the heat, rather than blooming unfortunately. Or maybe it's because I have to keep pruning them back down to five feet so that we can see over them.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked lavenderlacezone8
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Baronne Henriette de Snoy did not do well, just could not seem to get going, but I'm seeing some fat buds now and I'll be interested to see whether it does better for me than its neighbor, Madame Antoine Mari. I'm quite sure it can't be worse since the petals on the one or two flowers I've had seem to be thicker than MAM. So far SdlM seems to be one of the best in the heat, and Bolero has also been mentioned more than once. I seem to remember that in the past many more roses were mentioned, and I suppose global warming may have affected more gardens than just mine.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    6 years ago

I'll add mine since I haven't seen some of these mentioned. My antiques are finished blooming. It's been 95˚ to 102˚ for weeks with minimal to no humidity.

Dortmund - hasn't stopped blooming. Color and size of bloom have not changed.

Leonardo da Vinci - perfect blooms and perfect color. Unaffected by heat.

Quicksilver - unaffected by sun and heat.

Tamora - just doesn't quit. Tough for such a delicate looking rose.

Ambridge Rose - another that looks delicate, but isn't. Lots of blooms in the heat.

Munstead Wood - this one is a surprise. The one that gets a little shade hasn't changed in color at all, blooming hasn't declined nor the size. The one in all day sun is just a bit lighter, but still deep red.

Spirit of Freedom - older one is resting, but new one has put on so much new growth, it doesn't look like the same rose I planted a month ago. Covered in buds and opening with those to-die-for blooms. No fading or shrinking of bloom size.

Tess of the d'Ubervilles - dappled afternoon shade; laughing at the sun and heat.

Jude the Obscure - fabulous in a little afternoon shade; long lasting.

Plum Perfect - new this year. Color has remained that smoky purply color. Doesn't seem to mind the heat.

Sonia Rykiel - still in it's band, in afternoon shade, and blooming. Blooms are what I was hoping for.

OSO Easy Strawberry Crush - covered in normal size and color blooms. Seems to prefer the heat.

Pink Home Run - blooms don't fry in all day sun.

Ghislaine de Feligonde - same in all kinds of temps.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    Original Author
    6 years ago

flowers, I'm amazed at how many of your roses are doing well in your heat. Do you have rainfall during the summer, and what kind of soil is in your garden? I'm glad to see that Plum Perfect retains its color, although mine has yet to have a single bloom and for a long time did not grow at all.

6 years ago

Ingrid, this has been a scorching summer. No summer rain this year. I hand water, and was watering twice a day, second time just to cool the foliage off. My husband bought a couple of those tall, farm type tripod sprinklers and set them up at each end of the garden. I was skeptical, but those things have saved my roses. They don't reach everything and don't deep water, but they save me from standing in the heat for hours. You can feel the temperature go down when they're on. I have alkaline hard packed clay. The kind that is sticky when wet, like glue. I use a lot of compost in the planting hole - not the super rich home made kind, but the kind delivered by truck. I was pleasantly surprised with Plum Perfect. Extremely happy with Sonia Rykiel. I edited the comment after Jude - I was trying to say it looks the same in hot or cool temps. My Austins do better with a lot of water and a little shade when it's possible. Most of mine don't get any shade. These high temps are forecast for the rest of the summer.

6 years ago

I should add that I have plenty that just can't take it. Magna Charta, Mrs. John Lainge, Blue for You, Rhapsody in Blue, Morden Sunrise, Centennial and Blush have stopped blooming, and many others. With no blooms on half the roses and with the late summer decline of some perennials and 4 tree peonies that I'm taking out, it's looking pretty bleak out there.

Original Author
    6 years ago

flowers, before my husband put in drip watering, I well remember the hours spent watering every evening in the summer. Most of the time I didn't get to everything and my husband had to pitch in. The setup you describe is certainly an improvement, but before drip watering my garden in the summer was not a pretty sight; bleak is a good word to describe it. It's not a paradise now, but it's so much better. If you could have your husband put in drip watering I think you'd see quite a difference. Our system is very simple, no emitters on the end to get clogged up, just skinny lines to each plant coming from large hoses. I do think your amended clay soil is kinder to roses than my somewhat amended decomposed granite.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    6 years ago

Here in Crete, July's weather has been one heatwave after the next. Luckily now, it has cooled to the normal summer temperatures of around the mid 80s fahrenheit, which is a lot kinder to the roses. During the heatwaves, the best roses were, Blush Noisette, Annie Laurie McDowell, Sombreuil, MAC, Perdita, Teasing Georgia, Aimee Vibert, Marechal Niel, Mutabilis and strangely even Pat Austin, under her parasol!

Daisy

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
  • Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago

These lists are very helpful! Especially as I survey the garden today in 105 degree furnace-type weather.

SdlM is definitely one of the best. Marie Pavie (but she only gets afternoon sun so maybe that explains it), and one of my two Perle d'Or plants is still blooming. The blooms last only a day (kind of like some ephemeral annual) but I admire the effort.

Everything dark-coloured is fried, except Mme Isaac Pereire. Again, we're talking one or two days of bloom at most, but at least she has the decency to drop her petals and doesn't hang on to them, a scorched mess making me feel guilty for planting such delicate things in this inferno!

Foliage-wise Bobbie James and Rosa primula are AMAZING. The latter STILL perfuming the entire back garden with its heady incense.

I think I may have lost Dainty Bess. And Yolande d'Aragon - another transplant this spring - is not looking too hot (pardon the pun) either.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Anna-Lyssa Zone9
  • Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago

Also, Ingrid, we REALLY need to put in drip irrigation.

6 years ago

Ingrid, after we finish getting the expanded areas of the garden finished, we'll get around to drip irrigation. I had a system with emitters, but I kept adding more garden areas, so it finally became obsolete and my husband took it out last year. I do enjoy hand watering, and some roses do need more water than others, but there are times when it would be nice to know I don't have to.

I gardened many years in So Cal and well remember the difficult soil. I now have to dig holes with a pickaxe, a long piece of rebar to pry out the huge rocks, and a lot of soaking between attempts, but I do think the roses like it better than what I had in CA, or maybe they just like the huge amount of compost I use.

• Natasha (Chandler AZ 9b) W
    6 years ago

yes, in the heat drip system is everything. I didn't have a lot to water last year, but now it seems that it was not enough for plants. This year I had drip system installed for all new plantings and oh, what a difference it makes.

By the way, my champion of not frying leaves is Mlle Sombreuil. Planted by the concrete fence, the root part is shaded by shade cloth as it gets sun from around 10am till 5pm....but the new cane is picking out to the sun and there is no any single fried leaf, even going to bloom again.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Natasha (Chandler AZ 9b) W
  • Lisa Adams
    6 years ago

I'm wondering, Ingrid. Did your water bill go up or down with the drip irrigation? My water bill is rapidly growing out of control. If drip would save water, it would be an extra incentive. Lisa

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lisa, my water bill went down with drip irrigation at first, but I'm watering so much lately that it's gone back up again. I have a lot of young roses and I want them to grow as quickly as possible. But more than that, how it helped improve the quality of my life was tremendous. flowers, it may be that we have enough faucets, but we have continually added more areas and it wasn't a problem. We basically have six individual areas, and each has its own faucet. Several are configured so you can drip water, and use a hose with them, which is very convenient. flowers, I'm not sure I'd have a rose garden if I had to put out the tremendous effort you do to plant a single rose.

I'd forgotten about my Mlle. de Sombreuil which doesn't fry in the heat, although the leaves that hang over the concrete are not pretty.

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago
    I just got home from work and this is the only thing looking good. Two DAs, Winchester Cathedral (I think) in the shadow of William Morris.
  • boncrow66
    6 years ago

The winners for me this summer have been Sdlm, MBRC, Perle d'or, climbing pinkie and Caldwell pink. My new roses planted from ARE this summer that have been putting on new growth and totally oblivious to the heat are: Maggie, Sombreuil and La Marque. I am thrilled with these new roses and can't wait to see them next spring.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked boncrow66
  • sabalmatt_tejas
    6 years ago

SDLM, Marie Pavie, Perle d'or, Spice, Caldwell Pink, Mutabilis, Blue for You, levesuve, mrs Dudley cross, white pet, Cecile Brunner, golden angel x eyes for you, crepuscle, Mel's heritage, natcitoches noisette, champneys pink cluster, setzer noisette, several chinas, atmore lamarque, eyes for you, suntan beauty x Indian love call, smiling jean, fairy queen, SGMC, Aptos, Softee, Cinderella

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • sabalmatt_tejas
    6 years ago

Also- William Allen Richardson & Sweet Nothings have been very heat tolerant and keep on blooming through weeks of 100* temps

Original Author
    6 years ago

sabalmatt, color me jealous! So many roses still looking good; you must be doing a lot of things right.

I forgot to mention one of the Texas roses, Deanna Krause, which never fries in spite of having only five delicate petals. I imagine Michael Shoup bred them for being able to withstand very hot summers. The leaves are matte and thick, well able to withstand the heat. I'm really pleased with this relatively new acquisition.

• Anna-Lyssa Zone9
    6 years ago
    Ingrid, that's so pretty! It looks like a tough version of rosa mundi!
  • zippity1
    6 years ago

here on the gulf coast, lots of heat and humidity grandma's yellow rose, perle de ore, and belinda's dream are pretty happy with the heat index over 100 the last few weeks....

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked zippity1
    6 years ago

Ingrid, I only have one lonely faucet in my entire garden. I never planned to have this much garden area, but one thing led to another..... or, I should say one rose led to another..... I enjoy going out in the morning or evening and watering on most days, but there are times when it would be nice not to have to. In normal weather, my thick layer of mulch keeps the soil moist and I only have to water weekly.

• User
    6 years ago

..that rose is just gorgeous Ingrid... a great find on your part I think...

• sabalmatt_tejas
    6 years ago

Ingrid- thank you for the 'deanna krause' pics! She is an incredibly tough, heat tolerant, everbloomer. I've observed her at the Earthkind test gardens in Farmer's Branch, TX (Dallas suburb). 'Deanna's' parents are Tom Carruth's famous 'fourth of July' and Buck's 'carefree beauty' which is one of the parents of 'knockout'. I've grown 'fourth of july' and 'carefree beauty'- both tough and heat tolerant, but 'FoJ' has viscious thorns. Does deanna have a scent? 'Purple splash' is a close relative of 'FoJ' and has performed admirably in central TX with a nice fragrance

• needmoremulch
    6 years ago

I saw Deanna Krause at ARE yesterday, and almost put it in my little red wagon. Dang it.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked needmoremulch
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm still withholding judgment on Deanna Krause because it's a young rose and rather gangly and spreading, with blooms mostly at the ends of long branches. I haven't pruned this rose because I wanted to see its natural habit, and I'm leery of pruning young roses. The flowers are very pretty, though, and I hope that with time it will bloom all over the bush. I haven't detected any fragrance yet, but perhaps that will come later.

sabalmatt, since you've seen this rose, can you tell me what a mature bush looks like?