Just popped up in flowerbed - looks like a sunflower

Brad McVay

We have a tall fast growing plant that came up spontaneously in a small flowerbed by our pool. It has beautiful yellow flowers along its main stalk when blooming, it is about 5 ft tall, and has large leaves very similar to a sunflower but it is not a sunflower.

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

Sure looks like a sunflower. What is it, if it's not a sunflower? Or are you asking us?

Save    
Brad McVay

I am asking y'all. The sunflowers I have experience with are taller and have a single flower at the top that the sunflowers are harvested from. These seem to bear no fruit but lots of flowers. I just don't know if I should treat them as an invasive or just enjoy them. I appreciate any insight.

Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Sunflower.

1 Like Save    
Brad McVay

Thank you, we will keep them.

1 Like Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

I would agree with Embothrium, it's Helianthus annuus, common sunflower. There's a lot of variation in that species. The ones with a single large flower head and larger seeds are domesticated varieties, selected/bred specifically for larger yield. These are sometimes referred to as H. annuus var. macrocarpa. Yours looks like a wilder type.

Save    
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska(5)

It's beautiful. I love it. A bird probably helped plant a seed in your pot. I'd sure trade for some seeds if you collect some. Heidi

1 Like Save    
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

There are a number of Helianthus species, if Im not mistaken all are native to N. America. This is, as has been said, an H. Annuus to be sure. In the wild they tend to have more and smaller flowers. Right now is prime sunflower season in Colorado, all of our roadsides and and disturbed areas are full of them just blooming their ever loving heads off. Since they are my favorite flower, I love this time of year ;).

1 Like Save    
LaLennoxa(Hamilton, ON Canada 6a/b; Pronouns: He/Him)

Sunflower. And I adore them too!

Save    
Cathy Kaufell

I give sunflower seed to the birds all winter and have them popping up all over the garden. I guess some birds can't hold on to the seeds.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Brush Up on Paintable Wallpaper for a Posh Look
Customize your wall treatments the affordable way, with richly textured wallpaper painted any color you like
Full Story
Architecture Superb Family Homes Pop Up in Forgotten Urban Spaces
Take a look at how these innovative houses take advantage of underused spaces and improve their cities in the process
Full Story
Decorating Guides Look Up and Dream: 11 Ideas for an Inspired Ceiling
Think beyond the standard coat of paint, and make your ceiling pop with unexpected materials and glamorous finishes
Full Story