SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miranda_33

Problems with New Velux FCM Fixed Skylight Installation

Miranda33
6 years ago

I hope it's OK that I am cross-posting from the Windows Forum, as there is not as much traffic there. I had a Velux FCM laminated fixed skylight installed a few days ago. It replaced a 25-year-old acrylic dome. While it looks great, there is a major problem. We've had a lot of rain here, and it's been very humid (as is the case usually in July). No water is coming in, but in the area under the skylight, which is a hallway landing, it feels extremely humid, just as if I am standing outside in the summer humidity. This never happened with the previous 25-year-old acrylic dome.

The roof is flat. There is no attic. The roofing membrane is Sarnafil PVC. The scope of work per the contractor's written proposal was to "install new 2x4 curb" and "using our own custom flashing" to replace the 25-year-old curb that had held the acrylic dome. Instead, the contractor told me (after the old skylight was already off) that he decided to leave the existing curb there, as "it was fine".

I objected because the curb is old, the curb was designed for an acrylic dome, there is no pitch to it, and the flashing is also 25 years old, but he continued to insist that it would be fine. He wouldn't budge, We talked about it for 10 minutes, and he simply was not going to replace the curb.

The humidity seems to be much worse after dark. Because it feels just like the summer humidity that was outside, I suspect there might be air infiltration. There is no condensation visible. However, when it rained, the water was pooling on the skylight.

I called the office on Friday, and the receptionist said the owner would call me next week.

I am looking for any advice about how to fix this from the experts on this forum. Is the old curb the culprit? Or is the curb fine but the flashing is the problem? Or perhaps the fit of the Velux FCM skylight on the old curb? TIA so much for your help.

Comments (9)