SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Preventing a 4X4 Redwood post from rotting in the ground

loribee2
6 years ago

Hi there, hoping someone can help.

These are photos of one of the beds in my vegetable garden. This summer, I hired my gardener to replace some wood framed raised garden beds with this stone border. While they did that, I asked them to sink a 4X4 post to help support a shade sail. They did exactly as I asked, put the post where I needed it for the sail.

It wasn't until after the fact that I realized about 6 inches of this post is going to end up sitting in moist soil.

They did sink the post in concrete, but the concrete stops at the original ground level, not the soil level that will be the top of this raised bed. Now, before I fill in the rest of the dirt and restore the irrigation, I want to somehow protect this post from rotting at the base above the concrete and below the soil line.

I do have leftover concrete. I'm wondering if I should frame out a small square around it and raise the concrete level up to the soil line? Or is there an easier option like just painting on Thompson's Water Seal? As I will be planting food plants in this bed, I don't want to use anything that may be poisonous if consumed.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide!

Comments (10)