SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gavavemom

Wanted: farmhouse table

gavavemom
6 years ago

Looking to purchase a new farmhouse table and don't live too far from the Lancaster area. Can anyone recommend a local Amish furniture shop in the area that is reasonable? I know these are custom made tables so won't exactly be cheap but need some direction as to where to even start.

Comments (26)

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Not Amish, but there's a place in Chester, PA, that advertises pine farm tables on CL for a very reasonable price.

I've been meaning to stop by and look at them.

gavavemom thanked nosoccermom
  • gavavemom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well guess it doesn't need to be Amish. Do you know the name of the place in Chester, PA?

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I can't find it anymore :(

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

I had Martin Chair, Inc. in New Holland (Lancaster County) custom build a solid cherry dining table and chairs in the 90's. They did a beautiful job and I don't recall the cost being unreasonable. At that time, they did a lot of period furniture. I see they are still in business and have a web-site and are on Facebook. ( I have no connection to this company)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

This is mine. I got it from At Home store very reasonable prices. Has matching chairs and bench.

• gsciencechick
    6 years ago

We went to the large antique mall today,there are vendors there who make custom farmhouse tables. So, you may want to check out places like that.

I have also seen them at World Market.

• PRO
    Lifestyles and Interiors by Lisa
    6 years ago

We recently saw RuffSawn Handcrafted Furniture at the furniture show, very nice pieces, well made prices were reasonable..

They are to the trade but we'd be happy to get you a quote...

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That would be great! How would I go about obtaining a quote from them?

• eplumeng
    6 years ago

Have you tried Etsy? Local woodworkers often have Etsy stores, maybe there's one in your area.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I very much like Great Windsor Chair company -- not amish but their furniture is all handmade. You can't really throw a stone in Lancaster county (and also many of the counties heading east) without finding handmade furniture makers-- amish and otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't go a CL shop unless 1. you are looking for antique or 2. you know someone who has purchased from them 3. you first go to their showroom. There's a lot of lower quality pieces being sold on CL riding on the shirttails of the amish.

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

I just found the info about farm tables in West Chester, PA.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/fud/d/reclaimed-wood-farm-tables

1313 Wilmington PikeTimber Home Furnishings of West Chester, PA presents this authentic
    re-claimed
    barn wood farm table. Our farm table is available in 4-12
    foot lengths and your choice of square, turned or cabriole legs. Additional options include your choice of finish from 41 stain and paint colors, solid or distressed, extra thick top and legs, trestle base, drawer and extensions.
    Unfinished Farm Table
    36"- 40"wide x 30"height with your choice of tapered, turned or cabriole leg style
    4 foot $325
    5 foot $350
    6 foot $400
    7 foot $425
    8 foot $450
    9 foot $635
    10 foot $735
    11 foot $915
    12 foot $1,065
    Custom Widths & Lengths please inquire for pricing

Unfinished Round Dining Tables
    30" tall with your choice of tapered, turned or cabriole leg style
    20"diam.$170
    33"diam.$225
    36"diam.$270
    38"diam.$295
    42"diam.$330
    48"diam.$380
    54"diam.$435
    60"diam.$490
    66"diam.$595
    72"diam.$695
    Clear Coat finish please add 30%
    Finished with your choice of 41 stain and paint colors, solid or distressed...add 40%
    Extra thick top and Extra thick legs...add $130
    Trestle Base...add $135
    Pedestal base add $50
    Octagon base add $80
    Drawer...add $35
    15" extensions $130 pair
    24" extensions $155 pair
    When replying to this ad, please include reference # GMFT

Please be sure to see some of our other pieces of barn wood furniture in the photos and
    check out our hundreds of Beautiful Pieces of furniture at Timber Home Furnishings online
    or click the "more ads by this user" link under the map.

Please call or text Kelly at 484-832-5970 or email us at Timber Home Furnishings if we can help in any way.
    We are Open: Wed. 10:00 AM-3:00 PM, Fri. 12:00 PM-5:00 PM Sat. 9:00 AM- 5:00 PM
    By appointment at your convenience or online anytime.

We accept Cash, Visa, Master Card, Discover and American Express
    Convenient 60 day layaway plan
    Most respectfully, our prices are firm and subject to 6% PA sales tax. All sales are final.
    Curbside delivery is available within our delivery area at a reasonable cost.

We are located at 1313 Wilmington Pike (Route 202) in West Chester, PA 19382
    We are on the northbound side of Route 202, 2 miles north of Route 1, directly across from the Holiday Inn Express.
    We are the 2nd driveway past Stoltzfus RV and Marine. We are on the left
    side, lower level of the Enterprise Rent-A-Car building. When entering
    the property, stay to your left across the front of the building and
    look for our Timber Home Furnishings sign at the corner of the
    building.
    We are approx. 5 minutes from Chadds Ford, 10 minutes from the PA /
    Delaware state line, 20 minutes from Exton, Downingtown, Media, Aston
    and Kennett Square.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update: pulled the trigger. Here it is. We love it but since it's a bigger table than what we had before, we had to maneuver it so it wouldn't get in the way of foot traffic. So now, I no longer think the light over the table works. We need something that gives off more light, rustic, lighter vs darker shade etc and probably will have to move the light once we pick one to recenter it over the table. The table is dark so looking for a lighter shade light fixture to offset the dark. Suggestions please? Thank you for all your recommendations thus far.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Great table, congratulations of your purchase!

I would lean toward no shade for your lighting over the table. Depending on the size I'd go with a see through light vs. a shade.

Darlana linear or the Darlana lantern light. The lantern light comes in 4 or 5 sizes and they both come several metal tones from an iron tone to gold.

Photos for inspiration of this light... didn't pick the color for you, but the style.

They do put off great light and a dimmer would be recommended for any lantern if you go that direction. Good Luck... again, great table.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh those are nice! Having trouble figuring out what size for a 6' table?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

You want to take in to consideration the height of your ceiling, the length and width of your table... what is the width of the table?

I'm heading out to work.... if you haven't received an answer I'll get back to you later.

I do love both the lights... also, do you prefer the linear or the single light?

Well, once those numbers are given can better tell you on both lights. The room is an enclosed room and not open concept I take it?

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's 36" wide. Ceilings are 9'. I prefer the single lantern look.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

A 17" Darlana light would give you 9" on each side of the table (width). I think since it's the main light and you want a single that the 12" would be small and lost.

The width or diameter of the chandelier should be one-half to two-thirds the width of the table. With ceilings over the standard eight feet, you base the size of the chandelier on the room size or living space. In this case, you would want to make sure the width of the chandelier is one foot less than the width of the table, to ensure six inches of clearance on either side of the table.

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks! I stand corrected with width. It's 38" width.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Certainly, I think the 17" would be a good option. They do have a larger size, but I believe it would be too large. You want it to hang 36" or a pinch less from the table top to the bottom of a fixture. I'd put a lantern light on a dimmer as they do project very decent light.

Nothing worse than a dining light which hangs way to high :)

Good luck!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

The large is 24" in wide at the widest point, but it's tall at 34". I believe it would be too large especially with a 9' ceiling in a room that is not open. I'm sure you can do the math now that you better know what you need on ea. end of the table width wise.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Given that I got to thinking looking at my eat in kitchen table which measures 86" long. My fixture is a more minimal light meaning it's a large light yet, no shade or shades and is a very minimalistic light as in it is, "see through" such as a lantern is. It works perfectly at 25". If you can and you like this light and want to be certain what you like, I'd cut a piece of cardboard (keeping in mind it's a slightly tapered and the widest portion is the widest advertised size and at the bottom portion of the light) and suspend it from a string taping it to the ceiling 36" or so above the table.

I would personally go with the larger light. I was just sitting in my family room looking at the table and decided to take the measures as it's a, "farm style" rustic table. The width at the bottom of the light is 25". However, that is at the widest point which is the point closest to the table. The width of my table is 39".

Despite that if you can cut a slightly tapered cardboard piece at 17" at the portion closest to the table and a 24" piece closest to the table and slightly tapered and try them I am thinking you might go with the 24".

Long story.... I know, I was just staring at it thinking you need to go a bit larger than 17".

If I'm not making sense please ask... I've been out working all over town all day and was a long day :)

Good night

• gavavemom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah I'm agreeing that I need something a tad larger. What I have up now sits 4' below the ceiling and is a 16" width and when I look at it, I think it's too small for the table, so a 17" will it Ben much different.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Your shade is 16" I take it and not the iron portion above. I would personally cut a piece of cardboard at 17" at the top slightly tapered down and the next size so you can see it. Your shade at your table is the focal point being a dish and is a bit small and appears to be a little to high, but the angle may be such that it looks high.