SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_cat_01

Can you add an addition to the second story only?

pirate_cat_01
6 years ago

We aren't having much luck in finding a new house, so we are now considering the option to eventually add on to our current home that we only purchased last year. We wouldn't be looking to do this for another 3-4 years so I haven't started the process of contacting contractors yet, but I'm just wondering if what we want to do is even feasible.

We don't have a large lot, we want to add a master suite. Currently our 3rd bedroom is 9' x 7.5' and is being shared by our infant twins (found out we were expecting them just a few weeks after we moved in). The second bedroom is normal size and occupied by our older son, and our master is small-normal size for a master. So what I want to do is make the 3rd bedroom into a master bath (it is located right next to the current bathroom so plumbing should work out I think?) and add the master bedroom above the first level uncovered patio/deck in the back of the house. Is that something that can work, structurally? Can we add a roof to the deck and build over it? This way we aren't giving up any yard space, but we are gaining the extra bedroom space that we need.

I've tried searching for pictures of second story only additions but I can't seem to find anything that looks like what I'm talking about, so that makes me wonder if it's possible.

Comments (5)