SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

Will hoyas with root mealie damage grow new roots if only treated?

tlbean2004
6 years ago

Will they grow new roots in only treated and not repotted?

I had a HORRIBLE infestation of the dreaded root mealies. I dont know where the heck it originated but they LOVE LOVE LOVE hoyas! The plants will just sit there and not grow. When they try to grow they will just leave a nubbin and they will keep trying and your plant will have lots of nubs.

When you unpot them you will see the cottony stuff on the roots aswell as the mealies crawling around. The roots are usually stripped. Although the hoyas dont seem to die.....

I have some EA plants that got the monsters and i dont want to deal with unpotting them. Will they eventually grow new roots once they have been treated with Malathion/Bayer?

I treated a very small amount of plants with bayer last year. Only 3 actually. None of then have it thank GOD! Also, my Nummularioides (which is my oldest hoya) does not have it.

I have 2 EA lacunosas that have it and a EA tricolor. It's too much of a headache to try and repot! One if the Lacunosas is actually growing after being soaked on Bayer. ALL of my plants have now been treated and any hoyas that come into my house from now on will be treated. Once treated you can see the tiny bugs dead on top of the soil.

Those things are a nightmare and will go from plant to plant even if the hoya is doing good. I have had to repot SOOOO many cuttings that i planned on selling.

I dont think many people have had to deal with this kind of problem so i dont even know if i will get a response....

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!