SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaz_bish

Looking to add some "Tropical" flare to my backyard.

Chaz Bish
6 years ago

Greetings.

New to the boards and still looking through old posts for ideas. This is my back yard. I want to fill the bald areas with large planter pots with greenery.

I used to have flax in the gap between the two palms but it never florished, which I think had to do with it not getting enough sunlight. I have patches of moss and a foxtail fern doing well.

These pixs were taken at 4pm. The sun is already on the opposite side of the house. The sun rises to the left side so the plants against the wall dont get any direct light until midday. Im in zone 9-10?

This is the canopy Im dealing with.

Right side.

Left side.

The previous owners thought it would be cute to put down a layer of sand in the beds for a "beachy" feel but made it useless for planting stuff. I plan to remove a few inches into the planter amd replace it with fresh material.

Ive been looking at different plants recommended on these forums. I would love to create a tiered layout with taller pots and plantings to block the brick wall. My main concern is covering all the dirt/sand and filling in the gaps.

I also grew up in Hawaii so if I could figure out a way to add some ti plants and elephant ears I'd be estatic.

Other plants that have been mentioned here have caught my eye are Honeybush, Lotus Vine and any ferns that will take root.

Something like this would be ideal!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm