SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rantontoo

Advice Sought: Kohler Strive Stainless Apron-Front or Whitehaven

rantontoo
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am hoping to get some "real use" advice on either of these sinks or other similar types that might help us decide between a Kohler stainless apron sink and the enameled cast-iron Whitehaven apron sink.

Both my husband and I are having a difficult time making a choice. We went back to the showroom today will tape-measure in hand and left still weighing the +s/-s. I have been contemplating this for almost two years and still cannot decide.

We have had a 33" double bowl, shallow, builder-grade sink for 36 years; I will be so happy to see it go. My husband has "sink" issues...he gets in a cleaning "mode" and pots clank/bang, water and gunk go flying everywhere as he scrubs away. I am hoping that a larger and deeper sink area will help contain his "cleaning" mess...we will see. The low divide feature is a good choice for how we use our sink.

I like the larger sink area in the Apron Strive and the durability of 16 gauge stainless. I worry about scratching the front apron part...scratches inside the sink do not bother me.

The Whitehaven is gorgeous, and I like the way the sides of the front slope in toward the cabinet face instead of the squared front sides of the Strive. The Whitehaven has less sink area, and I really worry about my my DH chipping the finish. I asked him if he could make himself be careful...didn't get much of an affirmative response on that. I also wonder how much of an issue staining and metal marks are???

If I really like something, I can make myself baby it...DH not so much.

Anything to share that might help us decide???

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Strive-Self-Trimming-SmartDivide-35-1-2-x-21-1-4-x-9-5-16-under-mount-large-medium-double-bowl-kitchen-sink-with-tall-apron/productDetail/kitchen-sinks/1062774.htm?skuId=1062762

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Whitehaven-Self-Trimming-Smart-Divide-35-11-16-x-21-9-16-x-9-5-8-under-mount-large-medium-double-bowl-kitchen-sink-with-tall-apron/productDetail/kitchen-sinks/938193.htm?skuId=938146&brandId=433000

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Stainless is easily refinished and bottom dents can be nearly eliminated with grids. One dropped cast iron skillet, one time, and you'll look at the chip in the Whitehaven until the day you replace it.

rantontoo thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • rantontoo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Joseph: if the front apron of a stainless sink gets a deep scratch can the front be refinished to make the scratch disappear?

• Related Discussions

Kohler Whitehaven - any thoughts?

Q

Comments (15)
    Not sure if this is still a relevant comment since the thread is three years old but wanted to post anyway. We bought our Kohler Whitehaven sink (tall apron) about a year ago but have only been using it a few months. It's really beautiful and everyone who comes into our home comments on it. HOWEVER, if you want this sink make sure you get the stainless steel sink rack at the same time! We didn't and the bottom scratched very quickly. We have no kids and aren't super rough...it was just from washing big pots and pans by hand. I like the sink but I wish the salesperson had stressed the importance of that one little accessory!!!
    ...See More

Advice on Farmhouse Apron front double bowl sink.

Q

Comments (31)
    70/30 and 60/40 are almost worse than 50/50. I dunno... After only having 50/50 my whole life (all 36 years of it, lol), I'm quite impressed by my experimental* 70/30. :-D The disposal is in the smaller section (kind of a pain), but the smaller section is closer to the stove, so it's not too bad. My colander perfectly spans the small section, so when I'm draining pasta, nothing touches the bottom of the sink. Which is really nice. I hand wash very few things, but I don't fill the sink up to do it (soapy sponge and slowly running water do the trick for me). All of that said, my dreams are filled with copper single basin sinks, so that I only have one disposal and one drain to clean. :-) [*experimental -- trying it out in the tract house we just had built, because I wanted to convince the husband that there's more to life than 50/50, and the builder wanted far too much for the single basin upgrade; the ultimate goal is to do single basin in the custom house.]
    ...See More

Has anyone installed the Julien Fira Apron Front Fireclay Sink?

Q

Comments (24)
    To: Issac Fleming, I am considering buying this sink as well, and would love to hear how yours is holding up. Hopefully you can respond before I purchase and have it installed :) Thank you so much! Allison Porch
    ...See More

Does this Kohler Whitehaven sink support look right?

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks Joseph. Also - the countertop installers - installed the marble countertop first and cut sink opening in place due to a very long run with an L at end also. They were worried about sink hole breaking in transit. Have you installed the Pete sink mount after countertop was installed and put sink in from underneath? I want to be sure this will still work well and we won’t have trouble since will differ from regular mounting method on Pete’s video. And installers haven’t used this mount before. I hope they can figure it out. I’m sure placement / height of mount will have to differ to allow to get sink inside after mounting metal? Thanks so much for your help and advice.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Usually fairly easily.

rantontoo thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • cheri127
    6 years ago

I don't have the sink you're looking at but I do have a stainless steel apron sink at my current beach house. While it doesn't get used every day, it gets heavy use and abuse when we have a crowd. I don't have the grid in the bottom. There are no deep scratches or dents after 10 years. The apron looks perfect. I don't know the manufacturer but it doesn't have the high luster of Franke sinks so any small scratches in the sink bottom are not very noticeable. I have a Franke at home and use a grid to protect the beautiful finish.

rantontoo thanked cheri127
  • mrspete
    6 years ago

Like Cheri, I don't have this specific sink, but I've had stainless steel sinks all my life -- builder basic stainless steel sinks, in fact. I've never had a dent. I do have scratches, but they're small-small and don't really show unless you're really looking. Also, stainless steel cleans up super easy.

I have no specific love for stainless steel, but it is easy ... on the other hand, while white is absolutely lovely, I have to agree with Joseph: Drop one pan on that lovely white sink, and that chip will haunt you forever. That chip won't become "invisible" like scratches on stainless steel.

rantontoo thanked mrspete
  • ssharris03
    6 years ago

My Whitehaven sink is one and a half years old and has a chip already. I love the size and look of it, but it is definitely damaged more easily than stainless. The finish didn't look great on the 45 year old stainless sink we replaced but it had no dents or major scratches!

rantontoo thanked ssharris03
  • rantontoo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sshaeeis13: do you know how the chip happened? Do you have issues with metal marks?

• ssharris03
    6 years ago

No issues with metal marks, I use the Kohler grid. I am a bit klutzy and banged a heavy pan on the edge of the sink. I filled the little hole with some porcelain patching stuff and it's pretty smooth. But you can see the repair. I try to be more careful now when placing heavy things in the sink!

• rantontoo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Got to love-hate auto-correct!

• M
    6 years ago

rantontoo, you mentioned that you have issues with the size and depth of the sink. I went through a similar thought process a few months ago and was wondering really hard what size I wanted to make my sink and its bowls. And while I thought I had worked out my wish list quite nicely, I wasn't 100% happy with any of the compromises I had to make.

I then found the videos at https://www.rachiele.com/videos.aspx and spent an afternoon learning about alternative designs. Eventually, I was sold! We all have been going about it all wrong. Double-bowl sinks are more of a problem than a solution. A single bowl sink addresses most of these concerns; and counter-intuitively, it doesn't need to be as deep and is nicer to use if it is shallower (yeah! I'm a tall person; I love this feature).

Of course, I still had misgivings, because I like my old double-bowl sink for it's ability to let me rinse vegetables/herbs and for the convenience of getting me space to drain items. Turns out, there is a much more versatile and flexible solution:

Look up what the Rachiele website refers to as the "Workstation Signature" sink and investigate the available accessories. In particular, take a look at the super-cool add-a-bowl accessory.

Also, while at that site, look at the different options for materials. I love copper, but feel that it probably won't quite fit with our design. So, we're getting stainless. Interestingly, Dino Rachiele has different stainless finishes. Traditional polished is the easiest to scuff. But he has two other finishes that are pretty low maintenance. We have opted for the "antique matte".

rantontoo thanked M
  • rantontoo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

M...I do not think a Rachiele sink is in the budget but will check out the site for the info you suggested. Did you get a single bowl sink. I do not like a polished stainless finish due the scratch issue either.

• M
    6 years ago

I fully understand about price. It's awesome that Dino can build 100% custom fit sinks -- and we are fully taking advantage of it. But this type of service obviously comes at a price.

There are plenty of cheaper "knock-offs" of his designs that you can find from other brands. I have the impression that they don't pay quite as much attention to all the little details. But they are still great sinks. So, yes, educate yourself on the Rachiele website and then make a more informed decision no matter which brand you decide on.

Also, Dino Rachiele does occasionally have sales for "standard" sizes that bring his entry-level sinks roughly into the same ballpark as the cost of the nicer Kohler sinks. You might not be able to get all the accessories at once though and have to buy them over time, if budget is too tight. But fortunately, that is always a possible option.

We will get a single-bowl workstation sink with a drainboard on the side. I love apron sinks for the ease of cleaning. But we ultimately decided on a top-mount, even though they are a little less popular these days. But in our case, it'll result in a cleaner finish.

One thing were we are going to be very non-standard is that we are getting a 15" drainboard that extends onto the adjacent cabinet. And since we have extra tall kitchen cabinets, we can even get the sink's ledges to extend all the way into the drain board. I think Dino said, this is actually a first for him. It'll be awesome. We'll effectively get 50" of "workstation" surface thanks to this feature. I expect it to become our primary prep surface. And it'll be so easy to clean up afterwards!

rantontoo thanked M
  • rantontoo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

M: That add a sink and strainer feature is brilliant! Is the antique Matt finish rough and rusty looking? The detail of the example picture are difficult to see on my iPad, when I enlarge, it gets blurry?

i told myself one splurge in this remodel...thought it would be the hood?!

• M
    6 years ago

Dino has amazing customer service. You can almost always reach him by online chat on his website. And he also posts his cell phone number. He'll send you a sample of the material, if you need that to decide. He'll probably charge a small fee unless you order a sink from him, though.

I have a sample of the matte finish stainless steel. To me, it doesn't look rustic at all. It just looks very evenly scuffed up. Not actually rough though. Just like what a stainless steel sink would look like after 10+ years of use. I find that look appealing. It's low-maintenance. It looks neat and clean. But it doesn't necessarily look like what we have come to think of as the "factory new" look. Suits me fine. We have a working kitchen. If you need a shiny look, then the Millenia finish would work better; but it'll always look very industrial.

Can't really make the decision for you which item to splurge on. There are lots of appliances to get excited about. But honestly, I am surprised just how excited I personally have gotten about this sink. It'll find a lot of use every day. So, I am sure I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

rantontoo thanked M
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

I have had my Whitehaven over a year. It looks great still. I got the racks a couple of months ago and they are very helpful in preventing damage. I got the racks because my husband occasionally cooks breakfast and can be not really attentive to the task. We don't baby the sink, yet I realize from the forum that some are rougher on stuff then my family.

rantontoo thanked jhmarie
  • rantontoo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jhmarie: what has your experience been with metal marks?

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

Before the racks I would get some metal marks that were easily removed with a gentle cleaning. With the racks I hardly ever get them and they are still easily removed.

I had a cast iron sink for 18 years before the Whitehaven and I know from experience that the older cast iron gets - the easier it is to get stains due to small micro scratches in the surface from abrasive cleaners and just day to day use, but I was always able to get the old sink white again. I moved it to my basement kitchenette when I got the new Whitehaven because the sold sink was still in great shape.

Another positive about the racks is they raise the height about an inch or so of where the dishes are. The Whitehaven is much deeper than my old sink and I had to reach down much more so I like that the racks raise things up.

The racks will protect the bottom - and a dropped skillet will not hit the bottom, but if someone slings things side to side - still the possibility of chipping the sink - though perhaps even more of chipping the countertop around the sink. Mine is fine - not chips in sink or counter, though I have heard some say they have lots of countertop chips around the sink edge counter due to over enthusiastic dish washing. Perhaps it is their choice of countertop - I don't know.

• M
    6 years ago

Another positive about the racks is they raise the height about an inch or so of where the dishes are. The Whitehaven is much deeper than my old sink and I had to reach down much more so I like that the racks raise things up.

Funny that you would comment on your sink being to deep. I was initially a little puzzled why all of the sinks that Rachiele builds are so shallow, until I read: https://www.rachiele.com/copper-sink-ergonomics.aspx (scroll down to see the discussion of sink depths).

Turns out, he is spot on. I double-checked with my old sink. And yes, while it normally is much deeper, we always have to put the grid into the bottom to reduce height to where he recommends it to be.

Grids are really just an afterthought to patch up the poor design choices that led to a deep bowl. And of course, deep bowls are a patch job for making the overall usable size too small.

rantontoo thanked M
  • jhmarie
    6 years ago

My Whitehaven is huge. It was not designed deeper to make up for smaller bowl or design problems - take that up with Kohler:)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58831076

This is no small sink, and frankly, I love the design. I'm on vacation at a cabin on a lake - love it but I keep splashing myself washing dishes in the standard two bowl stainless sink, something that happened with my old sink, but never happens anymore with the Whitehaven.

• rantontoo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

jhmarie: what is your experience with metal marks? Are there certain things that cause them more than other items? Silverware? Stainless cookware?

• barnaclebob
    6 years ago

I get scuffs and light scratches on the inside of my sink (creatgoodsinks 39" double bowl apron front ledge) but i don't use a screen thing in the bottom. Its primarily caused by washing pots and cast iron and they are all starting to blend together. I also put a dent in the top of the apron front when a cast iron skillet slipped out of one hand. Better a small dent than a chip in a cast iron sink or a counter though. The front of the apron front still looks fine perfect but i've only had it installed for a few months.

rantontoo thanked barnaclebob
  • PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    6 years ago

Yipes! It is starting to look like I have some of you on the payroll. Thank you for the kind comments!

• Chessie
    6 years ago

I wish you guys made stainless sinks with rounded corners. I just hate the cleaning issue of those 90 degree angles.

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

Small metal like scratches are from washing post and pans, cookie sheets or the worst, aluminum pie pans. The marks come from the pans and are not in the sink surface. They are easily removed with a light touch of Comet or similar cleaner. If that does not work, Bar Keeper's Friend usually does the trick, though I don't think I've had to get the Bar Keeper's Friend out yet with the Whitehaven. With the grills, the pots and pans do't touch the sink. My sink is very big and has two side by side racks. I find it easy to pick them up one at a time and clean under when needed - not scratches, but general cleaning.

• M
    6 years ago

@Rachiele, what? I was supposed to get a paycheck? Nobody told me. Where do I line up. LOL

Seriously though, I just love the fact that I found a sink manufacturer who

1. can build a fully customized sink that perfectly fits our cabinets and needs, and who
    2. doesn't mind telling me when I naïvely ask for something that won't work well and instead is willing to work with me on finding alternative solutions.

This is a rare combination. Admittedly, most people won't need that degree of customization, and they might not be willing to pay for it. That's fine. But it's awesome that these options are available. And while I haven't received my sink yet, I am super happy with the very professional process so far.

And I see that you regularly have sales on more standardized products which directly compete with other off-the-shelve manufacturers.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    6 years ago

Chess, I believe Dino will make rounded corners. However, the standard isn't 100% square, there is a small radius and it's been easy to clean.

rantontoo thanked Jerry Jorgenson
  • User
    6 years ago

I have a Kohler Dickinson tile-in apron front sink and I'm wondering why more people don't use these. They can be mounted just 1/4 " or so below the countertop so they have the advantages of an undermount and a drop-in.

My husband made the sink cabinet it sits in, so maybe these types are not standard, but I love the sink; it's not too low of a mount, but I still can clean the tops into the sink.

rantontoo thanked User
  • M
    6 years ago

I think with anything other than top- or undermount, people are always afraid that the joint between the sink and the counter top can fail. And even those can fail too, if poorly installed. Of course, if properly installed, none of this should be an issue. And if you trust your installer to be extra meticulous and to use the right materials, then yes, this looks really awesome.

But I absolutely understand why it isn't more popular. @Joseph Corlett regularly posts fun pictures of what water damage can do to your counter tops (e.g. if they have embedded rods that aren't properly waterproofed).

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Signet Marlumnus, I don't have one because I don't care for apron front sinks. But that sink looks like it would not work in a standard cabinet, as you said, without special installations.