SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Pruning Heavy Blossemed Limelight Hydragenga

a1an
6 years ago

What's the rule for a Limelight Hydragenga. Planted one in the ground last year, staked. Took the stakes off but seeing how it's just shifts - due to weight of blossoms, I put the stakes back in.

I have a BOATLOAD of blooms on it right now. After heavy right, they are just straight up too heavy. What is the rule of thumb. Let Dwarnisim take over and let it follow it's own course. Or do I prune it to the point where I leave a couple of blossoms just so it kinda resembles a blossoming tree until X years later, where the wood will be strong enough to support it.

And or throw a couple of long stakes and run some rope and support the branches in whole >

Comment (1)

• luis_pr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you already have a tree-form Limelight, aka a 'standard' Limelight, then yes, it helps to stake it for a few years. Better yet, as time passes while it is staked, evaluate if the location is "too" windy and, if so, move it elsewhere...

If the weather gets too windy during a storm and the location is subjected to strong winds, the winds can damage/collapse the tree. If you see the staked tree moving too much during storms, consider if another location might be safer/better.

People have posted before saying this has been a problem with tree hydrangeas in windy spots.