SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckraft24

House is 2 shades of GREEN - Exterior Color Advice Needed

ckraft24
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I recently purchased a house in Michigan. The house was built in 1921, and it has a lot of charm, but the exterior colors are terrible. The areas of the house with cedar shingles are stained a greenish gray color, and the areas of the house with wood siding are stained a faded key lime green color (or light pea green). The stairs leading to the front door appear to be a compromise between those two colors. The houses next door to us are red and light blue, so we do not want to match either of those.

We were thinking that it would look nice to go with a navy blue/gray color for the wood siding and to stain the cedar shingles a natural cedar-looking color (very warm light brown color). We don't want to make the shingles and the siding the same color because we think that would take away from the character of the house. We would also paint the door red (a brighter red than it currently is), and keep all the trim creamy white.

However, my dad suggested that we make the siding a light color, maybe cream, because the house is small, and dark colors will make it look even smaller. If we did that, we would make the trim on the house a neutral greige color, like Chelsea Gray, but it might clash with the color of the . One potential problem with going with a light color is that I am not sure if wood can be stained with a lighter color. We could paint the siding and shingles instead of staining them, but I am not sure if it is wise to paint over stained wood.

If someone could give me advice on painting versus staining wood siding and shingles or offer some color combination suggestions, I'd really appreciate it!

Comments (24)