SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_shirley

Inexpensive water filter cartridge for an Everpure filter fitting?

nick_shirley
6 years ago

I bought my house in March 2009 and found that there were Everpure H-100 (AKA EP-15) filters on the water line to the ice maker and on the cold water line to my bar sink. Being a good new homeowner and at the time flush with cash, I dutifully replaced the two existing cartridges with an Aqua Pure EP-15 at about $60 a piece. I shut the access panels to the wall openings for both filters and as is usually the case for me, if I can't see it, I never think about it again.

It is now July 2017. My wife just happened to ask me if we've every changed out the filters since we moved in, and I have to answer in the negative. But I can't detect any issues with either line. I rarely use the bar sink (the bar yes, the sink no) and if the flow is slowed down to the icemaker (which does go through about a quart of water a day, I'd guess), I certainly haven't noticed it. I know that there are recommended limits for both filters (I think a year or a certain number of gallons, whichever comes first), but my guess is that the H-100 system was designed for heavy usage, maybe even whole house purposes, and a tray of ice cubes now and then or the occasional splash of water to a glass of Scotch, even over eight years, didn't really tax the capabilities of these heavy duty filters.

That said, it's time to change them out, and I really ought to do this more often. The problem is that these filters are really expensive (changing both every year means about $10 a month). I really don't need such a fancy filter, but I also don't want to go changing out the existing fittings. Rule Number One: If the plumbing isn't leaking, don't muck with it or it will.

So, are there more modest duty filters (smaller, I suppose) that will fit the Everpure H-100 fitting?

Thanks,

Nick in Palm Springs

Comments (5)