SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kyra_harris_schulz

Please help! Odd disease on leaves!

Kyra Harris
6 years ago

Hi there!

I'm new to growing tomatoes and need some guidance desperately. I purchased an Ultra Girl a while back and grew it in a pot on my deck. It has done beautifully, so I returned back to the local greenhouse where I bought it looking for another. Given how late in the season it is, their big tomato plants (approx 4ft tall) were on sale for $4. I bought two, despite the fact that the bottom foot on both plants looked a bit diseased. I truly thought they just needed a good pruning, however, once I got them home I realized two things: 1) the leaves look like they have a disease I don't recognize (some leaves are yellowed, others have dry, white patches with tiny black specs that look like black heads); 2) the one plant has what look like aphids (however I doubt they are since I thought aphids hated tomatoes). I've attached pictures and am looking for some help to answer these questions:

1) What disease is on the leaves and what do I do about it? I've pruned away most of the diseased leaves but did have to leave some on that were less effected as I was worried about that there wouldn't be enough left for photosynthesis.

2) Can tomatoes get aphids? What can I do about it?

3) I grow in pots, but I'm still worried my diseased plants might infect my original healthy plant. How far should I keep the pots away from each other? I don't have a huge full sun area, so it's not as if I can separate them to the front yard and backyard.

Thank you kindly in advance everyone!

- Kiki

Comment (1)