SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
underwater_dragonsquid

A GardenWeb success story!

Hi, tomato aficionados! Some of you might remember me from this old thread and this old thread. Brief recap:

Some 20 year-old tomato seeds from my deceased grandfather were given to me back in December. I wasn't expecting any to sprout, but out of 20, I got 10% germination out of them, so 2 plants. I was on edge the entire time at the thought of having only two plants to "get it right" and get a new generation of seeds, especially since I'd never grown anything before.

While raising them indoors, they never looked all that good, and there were several close calls. A lot of people from this forum were supportive and gave valuable advice. Ultimately, what I ended up doing was using the two plants as a source of cuttings, after which I scrapped them. I was able to turn 2 plants into 16. I gave most away to a friend to grow for me so I didn't have all of my eggs in one basket, and I kept 4 for myself.

Well, here are two of the clones! There are two in a second row (you can just make out the second set of T posts) - they aren't doing anything because they get a lot less sun than the ones in front. Due to a number of circumstances, a few feet really does make a significant difference -- but these two are doing just fine!

If you look closely, you can make out 4 tomatoes in this second pic. Yesss! These are the largest and the easiest to get pictures of since they aren't hiding under a dense blanket of leaves, but all told, I have 20-some tomatoes in various stages of development, and at least that many flowers waiting to be pollinated.

Unless something goes drastically wrong at this point, the family tomatoes have been saved! We did it, GardenWeb! Thank you all!

Comment (1)