SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodland_creature_

String of Pearls Plant drying out from the top down

Woodland Creature
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My String of pearls plant is drying out from the soil down.

Here's its life trajectory: Plant came in a plastic hanging basket with what I assume is succulent soil since it came from a decent plant shop.

Plant came in a plastic hanging basket with what I assume is succulent soil since it came from a decent plant shop.

I was a bad plant mom for a while and forgot to water it.

Soil in pot dried up and shrank over time.

I wanted to help the soil plump up again so I moved the plant to the kitchen, and started giving it more frequent waterings. The light pretty much remained the same (semi-direct afternoon light, though it used to get slightly more direct light where it was before.

Anyways, the soil did eventually plump back up, but now the pearls are drying out and turning brown from the soil down. The rest of the length of the pearls still look healthy.

From what I've read on this forum, this could be root rot induced by my attempt to help the soil. (it had shrank so much there was space between the soil/root base and the inner walls of the pot). I've been wanting to repot the plant in a prettier hanging terra cotta/ceramic pot. What are the best steps for helping a string of pearls plant re-root from clippings of healthy sections? Thank in advance!

Comments (12)