SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robbinykim

Fiddle Leaf Fig Novice: How do I get rid of them?!

Hi all!

I am a complete plant novice, but recently moved to a new home with a decent-sized patio and dreamy sunlight, which gave me the courage to venture into the plant world. Despite my lack of knowledge and experience with plants, I fearlessly purchased 8-10 thriving plants to liven up my home.

The fiddle leaf fig of course, is one of them. I purchased him a month ago and he seemed to be fairly happy in the new home since his homecoming. I watered him only when the top inch felt dry and gave him lots of indirect sunlight. However, in the past couple of days, I've noticed brown spots/speckles on the lower leaves and the stems. I have also been reading similar posts from other members and Al's explanations, so I'm assuming the problem is mainly due to overwatering, root rot and/or insects. I also am seeing the fiddle's roots on top of the soil so the best bet seems to be repotting. Having come to this conclusion, I am planning to repot the guy by following Al's famous gritty mix recipe.

There is one question, however, that I have not been able to find an answer to anywhere in the forums (or perhaps I'm not researching hard enough). When repotting, am I supposed to remove/cut off the affected leaves? If so, where exactly? None of my leaves have crispy brown tips, mostly brown speckles on the back of the leaves as well as all over the stems (petiole?). I have seen some people cut away parts of the affected leaves, but that doesn't seem like the best option for me as the speckles are not necessarily concentrated in specific areas. The lower leaves are also starting to droop. If I am not supposed to cut the affected leaves, do they eventually go back to "normal" and lose the spots after repotting and following the correct procedures? I guess what I ultimately want to know is, "how do I get rid of the spots?"

Overall, the tree looks fairly pretty, but not sure if I should be taking any action immediately:

Any advice and insight is much appreciated.

Thank you all so much in advance!

- Robbin

Comments (2)