SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldorado316

Soil suggestions indoor Coleus, herbs and Thanksgiving Cactus

Mike (zone 6a)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Good evening

I have many indoor plants (Rubber Plant, White Bird of Paradise, ZZ, Aloe, Schefflera, Green and Yellow Sans, Calomondin Orange, Mango and Cycad) that are all in the gritty mix and are doing very well, growing, and made it thru winter 2016-2017 without any hiccups.

However, I have a Flame Thrower Coleus that did not seem very happy in the gritty mix last winter (was droopy after only a few days and lost all but the top leaves). I also had my Thanksgiving Cactus in shagnum peat since I purchased it in Jan 2016 and it seems very happy (flowered for about 6 months and is now growing vigorously). The Flame Thrower Coleus is now in sphagnum peat as well and has been growing like a weed ever since, even with constant pruning. I recently purchased a Persian Shield that is also in sphagnum peat and it also is perky and seems quite happy. A few herbs (basil, rosemary and parsley) are also in peat.

Even though the peat based soil is working well for the plants listed above, there are fungus gnats that are hanging around these plants. I am wondering if there is a soil-less mix that is more water retentive that would work. Can the ingredients of the gritty mix be manipulated to make it more suitable for these plants? Would 100% turface work?

Thanks

PS I want to turn the Coleus into a bonsai, I'll post some photos if there is interest.

Comments (13)