SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
decker11

Finally...my kitchen reveal.

Kim
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We started in early February with a complete tear out...I’ll try to give some before pics. We were supposed to be done in April, just before Easter and, well, the last major piece (grille inserts in my coffee center cabinets) was done last week, June 23….Phew. Felt like it would never be all done! (We do have a few punch list items, but nothing major). Thanks to all of you who weighed in – the good, the bad and the ugly were all welcome and helped me sort through a whole lot of decisions. I’ll try to list everything, but to be honest, I may not be able to recall all the manufacturers/colors of some things.

Designer/Builder: Kitchens by Eileen (Megan Coggeshall)

Cabinets: Signature Custom Cabinetry in custom color, Benjamin Moore Pale Oak

Cabinet grill inserts: polished nickel with mesh behind

Island: Signature Custom Cabinetry in Cherry (cannot remember the stain color)

Countertops: Sea Pearl Quartzite (natural stone)

Backsplash: Sonoma crackle tile in gardenia

Drawer Pulls: RK International “Plain Pull” in polished nickel

Drawer Knobs: Emtek Georgetown (base is polished nickel)

Island Lights: Look-alike with Eureka Snowlab I (Cannot remember where the look-alike came from – only difference is mine is not halogen)

Kitchen Table: Canadel

Kitchen Table Lights: West Elm

Sink: Blanco Performa Cascade in metallic gray

Faucet: Waterstone traditional pull down (5500 series) in polished nickel with a matching filtered water faucet.

Wall Color: Sherwin Williams Chelsea grey

Trim: Sherwin Williams (Superwhite?)

Floor: American guild -glory russet

Oven: GE Monogram 30” French Door Oven in stainless steel (LOVE IT!!!)

Cooktop: GE Monogram 36” Induction in black

fridge: thermadore freedom 30" (all refrigerator) with custom panel

If you look closely you may be able to identify 5 cats and a dog...lol. No changes there!

Think I just reached my photo limit!!

Comments (63)

• traci_from_seattle
    5 years ago

I love that wall of cabinets surrounding the oven! What a pretty kitchen!

Kim thanked traci_from_seattle
  • Cheryl Hewitt
    5 years ago

What a lovely kitchen. You did a wonderful job pulling all the pieces together to create a beautiful space. I absolutely love your oven wall! I'm totally envious. :)

Kim thanked Cheryl Hewitt
  • Related Discussions

Finally My kitchen reveal! Thank you, GWers!

Q

Comments (36)
    I love it! The brick, the wood grain, everything! It feels like it has some history to it, even though it is new. I've been trying to plan storage for my vitamix in my new kitchen, thinking it would need an extra tall space, but I might copy your method, and store it with the container next to, rather than on, the base, inside of an appliance garage.
    ...See More

Finally, my reveal

Q

Comments (38)
    Thank you everyone. The six weeks it took really seem like no big deal in hindsight. To anyone who thinks it seems undoable--- just plan plan plan. I set up a nice second kitchen in the basement ("nice " is most definitely a relative term---washing dishes in my concrete disgusting laundry tub was not "nice," but it was worth it). It all seems like a very short dream now and the old kitchen seems like a horrible mistake... Which is an accurate description, actually.
    ...See More

FINALLY - My kitchen reveal (work completed in Aug 2016)!

Q

Comments (31)
    Somehow I missed your kitchen too, Anglo! I love seeing Shiloh kitchens (as I am a dealer)! I am bookmarking this to show my clients! I love, love, love the combination of inset uppers and frameless lowers! It's always been my favorite! To date, I have yet to get anyone to do this. I love the gray...and the crown molding stack you have there is a stunning design...perfect for a vintage look. So many times a taller crown stack can look forced or obtrusive. This combination has a great ratio and looks amazing! I will also keep in mind to suggest White Corian more often...you are right...it is a classic and so repairable!
    ...See More

Finally! My little socal 1930s Spanish kitchen reveal

Q

Comments (32)
    Oh I’m so glad your sweet little kitchen reno popped back up! I’d meant to comment on it when you posted it, and then I lost track of it. What a great job! Your material choices are spot on—it all feels right for this kind of house. I love how you treated the backsplash, and I applaud you for reusing the blue sink. It was a ballsy choice, and it totally works ;-) Hope you are enjoying it well!!
    ...See More
  • Karenseb
    5 years ago

Your island is really nice and I like your oven wall with the cabinets. What are you doing for a freezer?

Kim thanked Karenseb
  • Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We have a mudroom off the kitchen where our former fridge is now staying. When it dies we will probably get a countertop ice maker.

• pamghatten
    5 years ago

Gorgeous transformation! My question is about your dog, LOL! Is it a smooth-coated collie?

• Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, she is a smooth collie! They are not that popular so surprised you could identify her breed!

• pamghatten
    5 years ago

My guy (my picture) is a smooth-coated collie mix ... and you are right, people don't know what smooth-coated collies are. I always have to explain that Lassie is a rough-coated collie, and my Rocky a smooth-coated .... she beautiful.

• Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love them-but they are hard to find (at least in Pa).

• lam702
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! Love the pets too! Your orange cat looks just like mine, but thinner.

Kim thanked lam702
  • annac54
    5 years ago

My SIL has a black-tri smooth collie too. Glad they are enjoying the kitchen too. Beautiful kitchen. Nice to see the countertop as we are thinking of using that in our bathroom. Great job.

Kim thanked annac54
  • kelleg69
    5 years ago

I love it! The counters and cabinets are my favorite part. Did you make your cabinets deeper than normal to compensate for inset? We have done that in the last two houses and it has helped. Great work. Enjoy it!

• Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I brought that question up to my designer, but she and I measured my dishes and the intended depth of the cabinets and they were already perfect depth. One of the benefits of having a designer is they really ought to know all this stuff. I'm glad I used one.

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

I LOOOOVE your countertops (and everything else too)! Could I ask how the quartzite compares in price to high end granite or quartz? I absolutely love it :)

Kim thanked lucky998877
  • Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

They will all vary-this was expensive even for a quartzite. I want to say it was $2500 upgrade over the careera marble I thought I wanted.

• artemis_ma
    5 years ago

Your island stone is to die for!!!! I keep wanting to look at it!

Tearing myself away: other highlights, the herringbone glass grid uppers... The floor. Lots of drawer lowers... is that an Induction oven, it looks awesome. Design for being useful, additional pluses.

Cats, dogs... never, never provide substitutes! ;)

Kim thanked artemis_ma
  • Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I struggled with drawer storage at first and thought I made a mistake, but it just took a bit to adjust. I have never had more than two drawer stacks before. I'm loving the drawers now. :)

• mobuddy89
    5 years ago

I also love the island. Congratulations -- it is beautiful and looks very functional.

Kim thanked mobuddy89
  • Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am so excited to see how many people own smoothies!! We lover our girl and I love seeing your fur babies. Lovin the suggestion homechef!

• pamghatten
    5 years ago

Here's Rocky, my smooth-coated mix ...

• lam702
    5 years ago

I love smooth coated collies. My sister went to a collie breeder with every intention of getting a smooth coat puppy, but she fell in love with a tri color rough coat puppy. He's a beautiful dog, and such a well behaved boy. But the grooming is intense. I had a sheltie, so I know what that is like. When I'm ready for a dog, I will probably get a smooth coa, I love the temperament of collies.

• sunrise50
    5 years ago

Did you seal the crackle tile? I have picked out crackle tile similar to yours and just found out it may need to be sealed before grouting and after. Also what color is your grout? Beautiful kitchen.

Kim thanked sunrise50
  • Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sunrise-yes! I understand crackle tile MUST be sealed. Our grout is a light warm gray. Slightly darker than the tile (we didn't want a lot of contrast). Can't remember the name.

• weezel
    5 years ago

Oh! My! It's beautiful! I love every bit of it!

Kim thanked weezel
  • stacey6180
    5 years ago

Gorgeous!!

Kim thanked stacey6180
  • nosoccermom
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! How wide is your kitchen?

Kim thanked nosoccermom
  • Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

nosoccermom - I believe its 13' (give or take 2-3 inches either way)

• Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

PS - my island is 30" wide (which I suspect will be the next question) 72" long. Island size was a struggle for me - I really wanted a big old island, but it wouldn't fit my kitchen...but the truth is, I love the size of my island as it all turns out. Its perfect for not only my kitchen, but my needs. I have no large island envy. :)

• MaWizz
    5 years ago

Decker I'm bumping this up as I wanted to comment on your gorgeous kitchen you posted back in June. I had lost track of it til I just now found! :D Love the wall of cabinetry and the contrast of them against the walnut (?) counter, the floors, the wire cabinet doors at beverage center, and that island...Wow! I had even taken a screenshot of your island when you posted I liked it so much!:D I know you said they mitered the edge do you remember the edge detail used? Pencil? Eased? 1/4? 3/8? And did you do same for perimeter?

Kim thanked MaWizz
  • Kim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! The edge on everything is just a simple eased edge. I wanted a really clean look and I don't like too much of a rounded edge (too "soft" looking for what I wanted), so eased did it for me. Not sure of the exact detail, but it was a standard edge offered by my fabricator. Hope that helps and good luck on your own kitchen quest!!

• MaWizz
    5 years ago

Thanks Kim enjoy your lovely kitchen :)

• eam44
    5 years ago

Awesome job Kim! For all of you music and puppy fans, you have to check out this OK Go video!

!

Kim thanked eam44
  • sunnymeadows
    4 years ago

Thanks for sharing your kitchen! I am considering using Signature cabinets, and wonder if you are still happy with the quality of the cabinets and the painted finish?

• Twosit4me
    4 years ago

I love your kitchen. I especially love the countertop and really love the detail on the range hood, that is really unique. Congratulations!

• dieselsmom
    4 years ago

I love it! Is that a 36" cooktop or a 30?

• eandhl2
    4 years ago

You did a beautiful job on your kitchen. I especially love your your inset cabs!

• ME17
    4 years ago
    Omg I love what you’ve done it’s gorgeous!
  • Kim
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Dieselsmom, it’s a 36” stove top.
  • Kim
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Sunnymeadows, we love our signature cabinets. I will tell you that Inset cabinets do not stay PERFECTLY aligned on all planes (top to bottom, front to back, side to side). It’s just the nature of inset and the infinite adjustments you can make. I would use them again. I thought it was a good value for the money. I can’t recall exactly, but it wasn’t much of an upcharge for inset either.
  • BruceFan9
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

That quartzite is gorgeous! Lovely kitchen in every way.

@homechef59, how do you take that bucket off to wash it or fill it up? It looks adorable.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

It's a simple kennel bucket. It has two hooks on the back. The hooks are designed to hang off of chain link in a kennel. Go to any dog supply site and you will find different sizes for sale. You simply lift it off to wash or fill.

• threegraces
    4 years ago

So beautiful. I'm drooling over that quartzite. And your beverage area! In 10 years of this site, the kitchen forums inevitably turn to dog discussions. I love it.

• BruceFan9
    4 years ago

Oh I can see that now that I'm not on my phone. Thank you for the idea.

• Joan Black
    4 years ago

Beautiful kitchen - great job. Question for you. I ordered the same grilles for 2 of my cabinet inserts from a company in Britain. They are beautiful but I am not sure how to install the. Would you mind taking a look at the reverse side and see if they used glazing points, screws and washers, silicone glue/caulk, or molding? Thank you!

• Kim
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    @Joan Black- they put quarter round on the inside of the back of the grilles to hold them in place. I cannot tell beyond that if they did something more before they attached the quarter round. See the pic.
  • Joan Black
    4 years ago

Thank you so much Kim. I have the identical grilles so this picture and your response is so very helpful!

• Chrissi
    4 years ago
    Your kitchen looks great! I was wondering if you can tell me how your American Guild floors are holding up? I'm considering using them in my downstairs. Thanks!
  • Kim
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    @chrissy. We love our American guild floors. We have lots of pets and so far they are proving to be very hard wearing. We did notice that chairs (which came with hard plastic “nubs” on the end) being dragged in and out from under the kitchen table would sometimes leave a mark in the finish (not a dent - just a mat “line” that I could really only see in certain lights) That line seems to come out with some elbow grease (rubbing). I actually think it’s the chairs, not the floor if that makes sense.
  • Nicole
    4 years ago

Hi - how are the Signature cabinets holding up over time? I am considering using that brand, and wonder about the durability of the painted finish and construction? Thank you.

• Kim
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have no chips in my paint-even where “someone” dented the side of my fridge cabinet (so I didn’t find it until weeks later and nobody wanted to fess up). They have been great. I also have a stained island and THERE you can see a tiny bit of wear at the trash can only (nobody is careful using a trash can apparently lol). We are happy with them. My only complaint is that the soft close on the trash can (which is a pull out) does not close all the way consistently which is a mechanism issue.