SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bsmith0023

Need recomendation to fill in back fence area

I have included an older picture, it looks rough but it is in the works. On the right side against the older looking fence i have planted all purple formosa azaleas for spring bloom. They were planted this spring and I haven't mulched much so I know it looks like weeds right now. I also have blue mophead hydrangeas on farthest right side in front of the azaleas for summer bloom. On the left is the brick wall which I somewhat like and don't mind leaving bare.

I am looking for help on filing in the area along the new fence. You can tell it's the part thats actually looks ok. The entire fence line is very spot shady. Mainly shade morning , mix sun during the day and some afternoon light but not much for long.

I am looking for evergreens that I can use for the back length of the new fence, something that will bloom or show some color at times, the colors just need to coordinate with existing plants if blooming during the same time. I have azaleas and hydrangeas so I am covered in late march / april and then again late may through july.

I am coastal SC, zone 8 with sandy soil. I want something possibly very early bloom, something to bloom in may while I have a current gap and maybe something in fall too.

I had considered a Forsythia because it blooms before my azaleas here and maybe fall blooming Camelias but that's as far as I got. I am open to many different design, maybe one species all along with two different species on either end. Maybe once big area in the corner and another going the length of the fence and a third at the end.

I would normally be more simple and pick one species and be done but I would like to branch out a little and consider two or three of these bloom periods. I just need help with the design of the area and the options of species of plants to consider. Being more shade area I struggle getting the size I want and the ability of blooming.

Thank you all in advance!

Comments (53)