SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luigi_bordonaro

Trees for Woodland Hills area Los Angeles

Luigi Bordonaro
6 years ago

I have a space about 25 feet by 45 feet on a slope at the very back of my yard. Completely barren right now so looking to start filling it up with trees. Really need 1)some shade on the rest of the yard 2) something pretty to look at 3) some erosion help.
Rest of the yard is typical San Fernando Valley fair, got a bunch of citrus, olive, fig, persimmon, pomegranate, guava, etc. and a ton of lavender, rosemary, cactus, succulent, etc..
Was looking to do something exotic like Royal Empress, Chinese Pistache, Ylang Ylang, Autumn Blaze Maple, Lemon Eucalyptus, Sweetbay Magnolia, Royal Poincain, Mimosa. But now I think I'm just confusing myself as I go from site to site and all the warnings about invasiveness, water needs, etc. I've got a few sprinklers back there I can run drip lines from. I have to be mindful of super large trees as I don't want one coming down into my neighbors house, who I look down on. But other than that, I've got a nice clean, empty canvas to start. I figure I can get at least 7 to 10 trees in that space.
Basically I want to get some color back there and not have a tree grow to the moon (maybe 25-35 foot range) or takeover the yard. Looking for variety, different colors, different "showy" times of year.
I recently planted a few different Crape Myrtles, an eastern redbud, and a couple different dogwoods. They've all taken given the crazy heat we've had past couple weeks with some daily watering. So I could just do more Myrtles, but seems kind of boring.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)