SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazerolm_3a

Diamant Rouge/Diamond Rouge/Rendia

mazerolm_3a
6 years ago

Hello, is anybody growing this hydrangea? If so, does it live up to its online description of having the reddest blooms? http://www.sapho.fr/gb/trees-and-shrubs/55-hydrangea-paniculata-diamant-rouge-rendia.html

I've seen it at many places (Rona, Canadian Tire, Provigo), I'm becoming very tempted... :)

Thanks,

Marie

Comments (27)

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

I do not have it but its color reminded of a mophead called Wedding Gown whose white blooms turn red-purple/wine color in the Fall. Here is another panic:

http://www.naturehills.com/fire-and-ice-hydrangea-tree-form?campaign=Google-Shopping&c=7184962517&telnum=8558273459&matchtype=&keyword=&network=s&placement=&rand=9197261448405760325&adpos=1o3&gclid=CIHD78y6z9QCFYiFswodGFcG2g

The problem with all of this is making sure that you get what you are seeing. Monitors sometimes distort shades of colors.... and pictures have their colors sometimes edited by wholesalers wanting to sell more.

Have you seen it locally, perhaps?

• mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Luis, no, I have not seen it locally, and I would really like to know if the flowers match what I've seen online, because as you've mentioned, pictures are sometimes doctored to make colors look brighter. If nobody here (gardenweb) can confirm the color, I'll wait until they're blooming to make a purchase.

Marie

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

It is a relatively new plant, with its patent being granted in 2014, so I imagine that it hasn't been available for long and so you mayot find anyone with experience with this particular cultivar. They won't be turning color until August and IME it takes a few weeks to develop full color, so consider if you want to rely on the sellers to take good enough care to keep them in good shape through the heat of the summer.

mazerolm_3a thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • guyground
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just got a diamond rogue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fact I just planted it a couple of hours ago !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can post a pic if you want to see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks guyground!

Nhbabs, good point on relying on sellers, I might bite the bullet after all.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Always happy to provide a bit of justification for instant gratification!

• mary1nys
    6 years ago

guyground, how is this one doing now?

• guyground
    6 years ago

Not a lot but that is to be expected.

I got it small and it takes at least 3 seasons (and sometimes longer) before any judgements can be made.

thus, i will patiently wait.

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

Oh, I was hoping it would bloom too. But that is ok; we all can wait. Then again, it may bloom late too. Whoooo knooows ?!?!?!?!

• mary1nys
    6 years ago

I just ordered a 3 gallon. Hope it has a few blooms on it!

• guyground
    6 years ago

You'll be in good shape nothing to worry about. I've seen the blooms and they are nice! Plus, this is the best time for planting in our zone.

• guyground
    6 years ago

Whenever possible I like to plant this time of year, but given that this is a newer variety I wasn't sure if I would be able to find one if I waited.

• mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well I caved in and bought one! It's just starting to turn pink!

• guyground
    6 years ago

Nice !

• mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi! Thought I'd post an update on my new plant! Here's a picture I took this morning. So far, I love the color!

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

Yes, it does look nice. Post more pictures as the color change progresses!

mazerolm_3a thanked luis_pr
  • guyground
    6 years ago

Awesome

mazerolm_3a thanked guyground
  • mary1nys
    6 years ago

Real curious to see how dark that color gets! I have one coming this week..excited!

mazerolm_3a thanked mary1nys
  • mazerolm_3a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello, I'm posting this year's last update, because flowers have already started to brown. I would be happy to see pics from your Diamant Rouge plant, so feel free to post on this thread!

and a close-up:

• mary1nys
    6 years ago

I rec'd my plant and it hasn't bloomed yet! It's a nice plant though with plenty of buds ready to go. I'll share some pics as it develops.

mazerolm_3a thanked mary1nys
  • luis_pr
    6 years ago

Hmm, not quite like on the first link above. Resembles VS a little. Maybe soon but maybe not if the blooms browning. Maybe in the next 2 yrs. I am assuming the pic on the linkm was not edited.

• guyground
    5 years ago

I[ve noticed the foliage on diamond rouge is very disease prone.

I'll see if next year its any better.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

How are the blooms looking, guyground? Thanks for the comment of foliar disease. Did any of your other paniculatas developdisease issues this season?

Thanks for the update.

• guyground
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The plant is still pretty small, so hard to make any final judgements but the flowers are definitely getting a reddish color.

Ive never had a problem with diseased foliage on my paniculatas.

Next season I should have a better idea.

• luis_pr
    5 years ago

I assume that by "disease" you are referring to powdery mildew? or cercospora leaf spot? or both? or hmmm, maybe something else?

• guyground
    5 years ago

Yes, leaf spots.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus