SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vesfl

Can Charles de Mills or other OGRs make it in part-shade?

Two trees from my neighbors arch over a good part of my backyard and we tried our best to find the areas with at least 4-6 hours of sun. Unfortunately that's where we had to make a long border and already planted 3 roses there (also need this space for delphiniums and other perennials), but I can't plant CdM there because of suckering. I already got good suggestions on this forum on how to try to contain his suckering and last week planted him in a large barrel in the ground outside the border & raised bed. I'm afraid, however, that he is not getting enough sun at that spot, only about 2.5-3 hours. (Now we see that we made a foolish mistake thinking that this spot gets the same amount of sun as the border, because it's nearby in that area...)

This will be totally sunny area in spring until trees leaf out in May, but I don't know if it's critical for the OGR buds to be formed in summer (now) or spring.

I am now in a dilemma whether I should replant him in a larger pot and keep it on the deck where there is plenty of sunshine until next year when we'll hopefully figure out where else we can find the area for him. Or perhaps I should leave him in the ground despite only 3 hours of sun at this time of the year. Any suggestions? Also, does it make it worse that I am in zone 5/6 for an OGR in part-shade? Thank you for any tips and advice.

Comments (10)