Prayers for Portugal -- wildfires

petalique

Wildfires have taken the lives of 60 already. Many people have lost everything but their lives. My heart and support go out to them.

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Living in a similar climate, we know the death and destruction of wild fires. But 60 deaths is staggering.

My thoughts and sympathy to those suffering through this natural disaster.

1 Like Save     Thanked by petalique
Nothing Left to Say

So tragic. Prayers for all involved.

Save     Thanked by petalique
labrea_gw

terrible My neighbor Carmen is there with 2 of her interns! She's a film maker

leona_2008

On the news they showed burned cars on the highway where people were trying to get to safety and were overcome by the fire. It is heartbreaking. Labrea, I hope your neighbor and her interns are okay.

spanielgirl

So very sad! Another example of climate change-warmer temperatures and their wildfire season is longer now.

nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

When I lived in the middle of a potential fire area, the fire department said to not wait to evacuate. The fire storm consumes so much oxygen that a car's engine will die.

Obviously these people weren't waiting given the strength of the wild fire, but the cars could have stalled because of too little available oxygen.

So tragic.

Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

What a way to go. Ugh.

lily316

Just a very tragic situation and heartbreaking to watch. We can expect this to occur with more frequency as the climate continues to warm, even though we have a denier in chief. It's the middle of the night here and it's 83 degrees.

Save    
Maddie AtHome

Devastating. My heart goes out to all.

Pedrógão Grande, Leiria is inland. No rains for more than a decade.

Firefighters are still battling two of the firefronts, European Union emergency teams are en route, french and spanish firefighters are already there.

Save    
foodonastump

Two posts, both needlessly bumping up years-old conversations. Plenty of current topics to talk about, David.

Save    
queenmargo

Two posts, both needlessly bumping up years-old conversations. Plenty of current topics to talk about, David.

Why worry about what David does? The years-old conversations are still listed by Houzz.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Christmas 10 Ways to Work Through Grief Triggers During the Holidays
A year after losing her sister, she was facing another holiday. Here’s how one woman learned to find joy again
Full Story
Holidays Houzz Call: When Do Your Holiday Decorations Go Up?
Is it ever too soon to start spreading the holiday cheer?
Full Story
Features 9 Real Ways You Can Help After a House Fire
Suggestions from someone who lost her home to fire — and experienced the staggering generosity of community
Full Story