SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgraylmp

Help with Al's Gritty Mix

Maxine Gray
6 years ago

Hi, I'm a novice gardener in the PNW, and it is time to transplant my plants. Currently, all plants are in basic potting soil. However, since a number of them are succulents, I did a little research and decided on Al's Gritty Mix.

I bought Napa Floor Dri, #2 Cherry Stone, and Reptibark. I made two sifters: 1/4" and 1/8". Most of the cherry stone stayed between those parameters but nearly 60% of the Floor Dri fell through. After reading through more posts, I sifted once more with an insect screen (1/16"), thus adding back most of the "too small" into my usable bag. (I really hope I didn't misunderstand this as there seemed to be two different camps on how small is too small...)

The bark is proving to be an issue. I bought a large bag of Reptibark and most of the bark is larger than 1/4". I tried breaking up the bark with my hands but it is a little too soft. I tried a blender but it seemed to just cut the ends. My mom suggested a vegetable chopper so I can try that. Either way, it is a daunting task and the prepared boxes of GM on etsy are looking better and better...

While searching for suggestions on breaking up the bark, I came across a few posts about GM without bark. Some posts even mentioned their plants failing in the GM, maybe due to the bark retaining too much water...

My most prized plant is a jade. She is currently in a 10" pot and will be moved to a 11". She seems fairly healthy though I wonder if she is just surviving rather than thriving, hence the GM experiment...

Since the jade is going to be in a large container and kept indoors in the PNW, is the GM still recommended? My other succulents are an aloe Vera, a smaller leaf jade in a much smaller planter, along with a few hen and chicks (i think...).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (11)