SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

OT: Our peaceful but potentially deadly Southern Pacific Rattlesnake

I will not be offended if most, if not all of you, think that I'm crazy for not having killed this snake. I mentioned in another thread that he had come within a foot of my hand and did not bite me last week. Since then we've observed him crossing the concrete area in front of our house a few nights ago and last night, when I was squatting down in front of a faucet to turn off the drip system, there he was, within about two and a half feet from my head. There's a moist area there from a dripping line and he seemed to be trying to drink water. Even with my flashlight on him he completely ignored me and did not even rattle. This species of rattlesnake is characterized as being nervous and aggressive. Unfortunately, it is so venomous that its bite can be fatal because in addition to a hemotoxin that attacks the tissues it has a powerful neurotoxin that sends every muscle in the body into spasms, inhibits breathing and without antivenin will most probably kill you. In spite of all that, I simply cannot bring myself to kill this snake. He seems not to have read the literature about being aggressive and I suspect he's on valium, he's so unoffensive. However, when I was out tonight as it was getting dark I had a flashlight and was super careful about where I put my hands and feet. Anyone who's had close contact with a rattlesnake knows the visceral feeling that the reptilian part of the human brain experiences which is far from pleasant. I know the very serious consequences of a bite from this snake. Still, I respect his right to live and his kind have been on what I call my property long, long before I showed up, keeping up the balance of nature by eating rodents and ground squirrels. What to do, what to do?

Comments (26)