SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

How far back can I trim my oakleaf hydrangea?

Bunny
6 years ago

A few years ago I started a thread that discussed cutting back my oakleaf hydrangea. I got some good advice from user Luis who suggested all my cutting back be done by the end of June so I didn't remove old wood on which next year's buds form.

Since then it has been my favorite plant in my garden, although it has Godzilla tendencies and wants to grow very big. I'm always having to cut it back, even after June, so that it doesn't cover a window or get in the way of my front door. I suppose a smaller variety would be better in this spot, but I'm sticking with this guy.

I'm having the exterior of my house painted in early July. The oakleaf is going to need to be cut back more than usual so that the painters can do their work. The timing is good, I think. I wonder if a more rigorous cutback at this time is the way to go, not only to get things out of the way of the painters, but to give the plant room to grow new/old wood.

How far back, relative to the ground, dare I go? Most of the blooms have already happened.

Comments (18)