SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_9599282

What grass for backyard with dogs in Los Angeles suburbs?

MLO - USDA 10a, Sunset 20
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi from Glendale, CA. Been doing some research the last day or so, but seeking input from members here.

It's time to replace the lawn in the backyard. The issue is two medium-sized (45 and 55 lbs) dogs who love their garden and grass, and the gardeners are saying that because of the dogs' urine and running around, they recommend St. Augustine sod. The thing is, I'm not a fan of the runners and thatch that come with St. Augustine (or Bermuda for that matter). I know the runners are what help the lawn repair itself, but I worry about them getting into the surrounding beds. I started looking at info on Zoysia this morning too, but, like anything, it comes with its own set of potential pitfalls. Are the Zoysia runners as invasive as the St. Augustine? Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Here are some photos I took at 10:15 this morning, to give an idea of the growing conditions. It was treated with Remuda herbicide three and a half weeks ago.

Facing east; there is a slight slope from the back of the yard downward towards the house, which causes the area around the table to get muddy sometimes. There is spotty shade against the eastern wall until about 11:00 a.m.

Facing southeast.

Facing north; the grass won't extend all the way to the northern boundary fence because it's too shaded back there. It stops about 10 feet shy of the fence.

Facing west. This clearly shows the area that gets sun almost all day, at least until 5:30 p.m. during the summer.

Thanks for any input!

Comments (29)