SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hancock_j

Need help finding brake disk (rotor) for Poulan Pro 300EX

hancock_j
6 years ago

My Poulan Pro lawn tractor's brakes have gone out; the brake rotor/disk is worn to the point that it simply turns on the shaft that comes out from the transaxle.

The model number is PB20H42LT. The Badge on the cowling says '300EX'.

I've looked at searsparts, ereplacementparts, and through a general web search. The only place that listed the part, ereplacementparts, listed it as 'no longer available'.

I'd really hate to have to replace this tractor over this one part.

If anyone has a source for a new/old stock brake rotor/disk, or even a used excellent condition part for this model, I would appreciate the info!!

Comments (14)

• bill_kapaun
    6 years ago

IF you have the part#-

Google AYP + part#

hancock_j thanked bill_kapaun
  • hancock_j
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the idea.

Having trouble finding the part number; the parts diagram shows a different brake mechanism that the one on my model. I don't know if this is simply an error in the online diagram or ??

If anyone knows of a cross-reference for the different AYP/Craftsman/Poulan Pro, etc. I'd appreciate a link.

• bill_kapaun
    6 years ago

Crawl underneath and get the Brand/Model of the transaxle and search from there.

There's well over 1200 different Craftsman models in my home made database and I don't have them all by any means.

hancock_j thanked bill_kapaun
  • Greg Goyeneche
    6 years ago

Your Poulan uses a Hydro Gear T2 hydrostatic transmission. I believe the brake disc is splined to the output shaft and is permitted to float back and forth to accomodate pad wear. If the disc is turning on the shaft you are going to have to replace BOTH the shaft and disc, meaning you'll open up the transmission. Not usually a job for the faint of heart.

Both the disc and the shaft are available, but need the full part number of the transmission to get the correct component part numbers. The brake disc is about $35 and the output shaft is about $30.

hancock_j thanked Greg Goyeneche
  • hancock_j
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

That sounds like what I saw on my mower, thank you for the information. I'll try to get the transmission part number off tomorrow.

I don't have many options right now other than trying to fix it. The yard is turning into a Jungle!

I suppose one advantage would be that the fluids will be flushed if getting into the transmission.

• hancock_j
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OK, the number on the transmission is: T2-AABC-1X1A-1GXX, though the first X and the G are smeared and a bit hard to read. Is this the correct model number? And, where is a good company to order parts from?

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this issue! I appreciate it.

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

hi. sorry about butting in. looked up the # and found this? #121 on the diagram.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/t2aabc1x1a1gxx/0529/1510000.html

• hancock_j
    Original Author
    6 years ago

From the chart above, it looks like part number 583335401 is what I'm looking for.

Anyone know of a source which ships quicker than 1.5 weeks?

Thanks!

• Greg Goyeneche
    6 years ago

I don't mean to pee on your shoes, but if the brake disc is turning on the shaft, you also need to look at the shaft. As you can see in the illustration of the brake disc, it has an internal spline. The motor shaft (from the gearcase) has a corresponding external spline. Usually if one is stripped, the mating part is damaged as well.

I would recommend that you remove the disc and look at both splines before ordering any parts. The disc is relatively easy to get at; on the other hand r&r of the shaft is a much more involved job, including removing the hydro from the tractor, splitting the cases, and then removing and reinstalling the shaft.

I'n not sure of the part number. The Sears IPL shows it as Item 82, p/n 412046. Can't find it for sale on internet, although someone is selling a used one on Fleabay. Since he only wants $15.00 with free shipping, it might make sense to go ahead and purchase the shaft as a precaution.

• hancock_j
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Do you have a link to the ebay auction?

• Greg Goyeneche
    6 years ago

Do you know how to query in Ebay? Enter hydro gear 412046 and it is the first listing.

• hancock_j
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That shaft looks as bad as the one I have.

Anyway, thanks to all that helped.

• hancock_j
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did source the brake disk, and it worked on the current shaft.

Thanks to all that helped!