SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

How Do You Handle Color In Your Garden?

I'm a very visual person and that makes what colors I use (or don't) very important to me. The surrounding landscape also plays a large part in that decision. Some colors (bright red and orange and bright yellow) I never use for roses, although I do have yellow irises. A small suburban plot can successfully be a riot of different colors, which might be a bit much in a large garden. Personal preferences of course play a large part in what you choose.

My front garden's main colors are various shades of pink, white and purple, except for one pale yellow Charles Darwin and the apricot Carding Mill, which has steadfastly refused to grow. Yesterday I had to decide whether to plant the recently arrived roses Mlle. Franziska Kruger or Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux in that section. I finally decided on the pink Jules, since gold day lilies and yellow and blue irises also bloom there intermittently. I will probably move or remove the apricot Carding Mill. I'm finding that three colors of roses at the most in any one area are what please me best.

What about you? Do you have a consciously thought-out plan of what colors go where or do you plant whatever roses you love together? A short description of your garden would be helpful and interesting in this context.

Comments (98)