SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nahal_n

What color/style rug??

nala a
6 years ago
Hi guys,
What type of rug would you recommend for my living room? I was thinking a shag rug
would be nice but I'm worried ivory rug may take away from the marble coffee table while gray rug may match the sofa too much. I like lighter rugs because of how it looks on the dark hard wood but I don't know if it will clash. I'm really not sure what color and style to go with, so please help! Any thoughts?

Comments (2.5K)

• nala a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Example of how Crystal would look .. this is from my room just brought it down for an idea
  • Porter Edun
    5 years ago

I like it better than the other one Nala in style, but again feel it's lost?

• Related Discussions

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

JONATHAN Y

Dylan 29.5 in. Black Ceramic Table Lamp

Write the first ReviewAsk the first question

• Contemporary black table lamp with spiraling and ribbed texture
    • 100% cotton hardback drum shade in white
    • 60 in. silk cord with standard USA 2-prong plug

$4597/each $57.46

Save $11.49 (20%)

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Kenroy Home

Celestial 29 in. Glass Table Lamp

(2) Write a ReviewQuestions & Answers (1)$11699/each

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

A pinch short at 29, but like the darker shade and the base too?

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Safavieh

Janice 31.5 in.

JONATHAN Y

Dallas 31.5 in. Black/Chrome Ceramic Table Lamp

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Just some thoughts...... All fairly darn reasonable and they are from HD so if they are not in your store to view and you find one on the site and have it shipped to store and try... you can easily take it back if you don't like it.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

This lamps is so beautiful..yep not black or silver but Champaigne finish...so elegant thought you might like it...30” tall....try not to go to much taller than the actual height of the table.

• nala a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you both! I don't mind some dark accents on the table but if the lamp is too black, I am worried that it will draw too much attention to the back wall again with the tv/fireplace being black. I like the glass one from Porter with the gray and the last one Julie sent, although if the maizah had a wider base, I think it would be pretty. I saw some similar styles at HG with glass and champagne that caught my eye and I probably should've brought home, so I will go check today. Any thoughts on the art for that wall? Its about 22 inches wide 23 inches high.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Art will depend on the lamp finish you choose.....I would wait on art until you get your lamp...for me I would go with something small square for art that can be hung slightly over cabinet but still hung so it is tucked under the lampshade bottom....kinda like this....

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Understand Nala.... I feel with the rug has a little black, coffee table legs.... there is a bit of black or dark here and there. Perhaps if you are worried about a lamp base in black then maybe you might see a shade that is dark on a lamp just to try it out so everything isn't lost in that corner and there is a bit of a pop (if you will). Would go nicely with the print too (or similar if you don't choose to keep it) pulling from the dark tones in it. Just a thought.

I do love the Kenroy Home one above... it's only 29" tall, but you could place it on a stack of 3 hardback books?

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

The Kenroy also has a fairly large shade which might be a good thing at 17" round. I also love a square lamp, but finding one that works in your space and is tall enough is tough in a decent price range.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Here are two from Lamps Plus... they do have some black in them, but it's minimal.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

The second might not suite your taste, but has a nice black base so not a lot of black and it is 31" tall as I recall... I believe it's the Van Teal Owen antique silver leaf if my old memory serves me. The one above Van Teal Silver Sand Chrome 32" tall has a black base too.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

here is a photo of the two posted above in the photo(s). Very hard to tell in some mock ups the actual lamp. Anyway....

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Oh geez... I said, "suite your taste"! I meant suit...

• nala a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Julie. Hopefully the art I got will work with my lamp bc the colors work so well with the room, but if not I can always return or hang somewhere else.

Porter- thanks for the photoshopped pics. I see what you mean about having some dark in the lamp to give a pop.. it is blending in too much right now . the bronze one you posted last is kind of pretty too. I like that color. I will see what I find, and if I end up with a more glass type of lamp, I can always add a darker decor on top of the stack of books or something.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Well Nala, certainly no hurry as you want to get it right. It may surface at HG... I do think you need at least a black base or accent as all is lost in that corner if it's all monochromatic. I just noticed this... move your tree a bit away from the fireplace... you have the space behind the couch which is pulled from the wall... maybe centered on the wall or perhaps even a bit more toward the wall just off center? Just a thought :(

• kjoy1
    5 years ago

I like the lamp HIWE posted...especially the tone of the shade...looks like it would look really nice with your curtain color...

• nala a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is a lamp I got today. And here are some other options of what they had
  • nala a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Julie I think the champagne one you sent comes in 2.. I like the one I got height wise and shape just not sure on the gold as I have more silver and champagne tones. I will keep checking and get more options
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Nala that first lamp is really lovely..the gold base actually looks very pretty....I love it in your room...I do think you need a smaller piece of wall art...the lamp I posted

(Champaign finish)is only one but takes two bulbs.

• nala a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Julie- I think it is pretty too..just not sure if it is okay with all the silver I have going on (decor items in my mirrored tray/elephants/ etc). Would love to hear what others think too and perhaps it will be best if I get another option or 2 for comparison? Will see if I come across anything in the store that is worth comparing to. some of the darker options or even gray toned lamps that I saw were a bit shorter at around 26-28 inches.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Nala don’t get stuck on one finish..the Champagne finishes you have in the room allow you to add both finishes...it really does look very nice...best so far in my opinion..

this is one of my fav images of a room with mixed finishes...

nala a thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • kjoy1
    5 years ago

Pretty lamp Nala:)

• shwshw
    5 years ago

Like the new lamp.

• nala a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks guys! Now to find a nice book and/or decor for it.
    Porter what do you think of the lamp?
    Also I put a black shirt on the shade just to see how it would look if it was a darker lamp..not the best picture or set up but just for an idea..
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

I guess you could do a black shade but the shade on it looked very nice..I would find a piece of wall art with black in it or black frame instead.....I really liked how the lamp looked as is...and you know I was all Over the black shade idea But this lamp is very pretty:)))

oh I see Steve Harvey...couldn’t believe he was sporting that purple suit today!!! Was over the top:))

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Hi Nala, I have been following. I think the lamp is fine.

If you have uncertainty, just bring home the silver you posted or the one to the right of it even from HG or something else completely different than this for a comparison for yourself and then you will know.

I agree though, a black framed piece would be a good option for the wall.

• nala a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

haha I know you guys prefer the TV off for pics, but I had to finish watching family feud ;)

After looking at the black on the lamp last night, I realized I like the light shade better. I can get a black book and/or art in a black frame.. I think that will be pretty. If anything else catches my eye at HG I will get it for comparison, but I am happy with this one that I have now too.

• nala a
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi everyone!! I so appreciated all of the advice you shared with me a few years back. I am not sure if anyone will see this post on such an old thread, but I am now finally painting the fireplace a lighter color because I still dislike it so much. We currently have the primer on but I haven't figured out what color paint to get. After painting that, I am going to get a bit bigger sofa (like a small sectional) in a lighter color. I was never a fan of the sofa color. I would really appreciate if anyone could suggest a good paint color for the fireplace to complement and brighten up the room. The room basically looks the same as the last few photos I posted except for a different lamp on the side table. Thank you!!

• Porter Edun
    last year

Hi Nala,

I'm just going to recommend a subtle off white color that I've painted a lot of my home with and love it.... It is a very subtle slightly warm griege/white that pulls not blue, green, pink.....

It is Aesthetic White by SW.... It can lean a pinch and I mean a pinch very lightest gray in dim lighting or evening time and by day it's a nice tone of off white that is not creamy nor yellow at all. It works great on every wall in the house.... I paired with with some areas in an EXTREMELY dark gray and it's just lovely.... on the internet it looks full on tan and it's not...... So, I suggest you get a poster board and try it leaving about 3" of the poster board it's true white all the way around so your eyes can better appreciate the color or any color you try. That way your eye is getting more of the true color agains the fireplace by not looking directly at the color of the fireplace next to a full on paint swatch. Anyway, good luck....

I'm busy, busy so hope you find your color... please do try Aesthetic White though. Head to the Dollar Store and pick up some white poster boards!!! Best of luck!

• Porter Edun
    last year

Hi Nala,

I'm not here much any more due to working way to much. I wanted to recommend a color that is not that much talked about.

I fairly recently painted a good portion of my home with this lovely color (minus some areas where I used a VERY DARK GRAY called Iron Gate).... the griege color is Aesthetic White. It can lean an EVER so VERY SUBTLE gray (true gray albeit very light) in more dim light... and I mean subtle... it can be an off white with no yellow nor creamy color when brighter by day. I LOVE it. No odd undertones such as pink, green, blue....... Looks rich enough as in not STARK, but the tone is lovely and still clean in appearance without being white, white. I tried about 10 off white or griege colors wanting to lean toward white and it was the only one that didn't change day to night in any of my rooms except what I explained above which worked great with my decor. Good luck.... I'm sure you will sample a ton of colors. I suggest you try it and check it day to night lights on and off on a poster board!!!!

• Porter Edun
    last year

Oh, don't be fooled by the Google images... they show it a full on tan... it's FAR, FAR from tan!!! Again, good luck!

• mary44
    last year

Hi Nala...choosing paint colors is so hard! Ask me how I know...lol. So I wouldn't be much help.

Do you mind telling me where you purchased your fiddle fag tree? I am looking for a realistic artificial and yours has such a nice shape. Thanks!

• nala a
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Porter! So happy to see that you saw my post. I always loved your input so much and appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to give your feedback! I will definitely check out the color you suggested. It is super white right now because of the primer so I will have to check out some paint colors and decide on something soon. I am hoping the one you suggested will work for me. So odd how it does look kind of tan on google images but I bet it is different in person. I will also have to decide on whether to leave the step in the gray color or paint over that as well. Excited to finally get rid of the dark stone colors.

• shwshw
    last year

Following…

• niccidhg
    last year

Hi, Nala. BM Cloud White is a warm white. The following rooms are painted in Cloud White. As always, you would need to see the color in your surroundings and your lighting, but I thought this one might be good to check in to.

nala a thanked niccidhg
  • nala a
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! I had that one on my list of paint colors to check out. warm white would be good bc i think the wall paint color is accessible beige

• mary44
    last year

Hi Nala..If your walls are accessible beige SW website shows Aesthetic White as a coordinating color as Porter suggested.

nala a thanked mary44
  • nala a
    Original Author
    last year

Anyone have thoughts on what type of sheen to go with? trying to decide between matte and eggshell and the rep at sherwin williams didn’t have any advice on it.

• mary44
    last year

What sheen are your walls? I would go with the eggshell for the fireplace. I think it would make it easier to clean if needed than the matte plus give it just a hint of shine.

• felizlady
    last year

I would probably select window treatments first, and then a rug which works with the upholstered furniture and the drapes.

• nala a
    Original Author
    last year

i think the walls are eggshell

• nala a
    Original Author
    last year

Done! painted it aesthetic white and really like how it turned out. now ill be deciding on a new sofa color. thanks everyone!

• shwshw
    last year

Very nice

• niccidhg
    last year

I like that !

• mary44
    last year

Very nice...what sheen did you end up going with?

• nala a
    Original Author
    last year

thanks, I did eggshell

• nala a
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I am trying to decide on a sofa color and have narrowed it down to these 2 options. I am getting it at Macys and they don't have a ton of neutral colors I like for fabric options. One option is more of an ivory color (with a bit of an oatmeal tone mixed into it) and the other one is a lighter gray (with some white mixed into it). The image of the larger swatch is outside the store in natural light. The smaller swatches are on my dining chairs next to the family room where the sofa will be. I typially like lighter colors and think light colored sofas are pretty but now that my fireplace is white, I am not sure if it will become too much of the same tone. Also I should note I’m open to changing curtains or other items if needed. Would appreciate any thoughts or opinions!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?