SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lenarufus

Potting bare root roses questions

lenarufus
6 years ago

I'm expecting some bareroot roses to arrive soon - this forum has been invaluable for selecting them (except I didn't research Twilight Glow properly and was unaware it is also called Polka so it's on a small fence probably MILES too small for it)

I'm getting Augusta Luise, Peach Profusion (or Amarula Profusion), Princess Alexander of Kent and Bernstein Rose and want to get pots ready before they arrive.

They'll be in pots for about 6-12 months.

I have 2 plastic pots 45cm (17") across (internally) and 47cm (18 1/2") deep, these are narrower at the bottom.

Also some terracotta pots 43cm (17") across and 42cm (16 1/2") deep, not so narrow at the bottom.

I have no idea how big bareroot roses are - I thought the pots should be big, but I read this on the web:

Place the bare rooted rose bush into the pot. Ensure that the bud union is level with the rim of the pot: The roots of a bare rooted rose plant will be pruned so that their roots are half the distance of the container when the bud union sits at the rim of the pot. If your bud union and roots aren't aligning this way, your pot is too large or small.

So I'm wondering if I need to get some smaller pots? Would it matter if there was too much soil around the roots, after all this is how they grow in the ground?

Comments (5)