SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kali_deere

Can I rototill without destroying bulbs?

kali_deere
6 years ago

Hi everyone,

i know this isn't the correct board for this question but thanks to the glitch with houzz forums this is the only gardening forum I can get to (ugh!). Anyways...

I planted about 200-300 bulbs in my two front gardens (they frame either side of my front door). This is my first season in this house and I noticed the tulips did extremely well and and hyacinth did decent (I think constant rain killed them early). But the daffodils did terribly and the muscari didn't really bloom at all.

For or next season I was thinking of removing the daffodil and muscari bulbs and maybe putting them someplace else or giving them to a neighbor that gets more sunlight. However now that all the blooms have died and some of the leaves have crumbled away it's hard for me to know what's what (plus I don't want to dig up the fresh mulch right now).

So so I was curious if in the fall I could use a rototiller to easily push all the bulbs up, pick them out and sort them, out back the ones I want and move the ones I don't. Would this process work or would the bulbs get sliced open? I'm okay with maybe losing a couple by accident (I'll just replace them). But if it's going to be a massacre I don't want to do it.

thanks in advance!!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!