Euphorba Bonfire

Chris DePaola

Just got done planting a grouping of these Friday and seems like no mater how I water these they die off. I've given them maybe 20-30 second dousings of water daily the first few days and noticed them leaves yellowing and falling off down low on the plant so I cut back to 20-30 second watering every other day. It slowed the process minimally but they continue to die off. This is the second time I've failed with this plant.

They get mostly sun with some early dappled shade. I'm in Chicago and temps have been 70/80 during the day and 50/60 at night. Every other plant is doing well, just these darn euphorba.

Any suggestions or tips? Thoughts? Really like these and would like to get them to work but they seem really sensitive

Thanks!

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada(5a ON Canada)

Plants need about an inch of rain per week. A good drink not a sip every day or two. Euphorbias have a long taproot and the water needs to reach it

Use the finger test if you need to. Stick your finger a couple of inches into the soil, if it feels dry, water. By watering only for a few seconds at a time any plant will suffer because there is no reason for the roots to extend deep into the soil the way they should.

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

I've thought of planting these several times, but I wanted to point out that these are not native to North America. Euphorbia epithymoides (aka E. polychroma) comes from central/southeast Europe, and 'Bonfire' is a patented cultivar (or possibly a hybrid). The Perennials forum would be a better fit for the question.

That said, I've seen some wonderful combinations of this plant with low grasses like Sesleria (also non-US-native) in photos. Nice textural and color contrast.

Save    
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More