SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jabubaoski

Help me choose a red DA? Is Cattail Creek reliable?

jabubaoski
6 years ago

Hi all,

I am itching to add another rose and can’t decide. Can you help with some enabling? :)

I garden in NYC, zone 7b, harsh conditions: a) reflected heat surfaces everywhere (bluestone pavers, artificial turf, tall buildings made of glass and metal), b) high humidity in the summer and intense sun, c) have to live in a pot, d) winter can get cold and very very windy.

The spot I am envisioning to fill is next to a 2 year old Molineux, some catmint + golden agastache, dark weigela + creeping jenny, purple petunia + pink mandevilla. Everyone has their own pot and they are lined against a wooden fence. I think a dark pink/red would make the area pop.

I was looking at Benjamin Britten, Darsey Bussell and maybe Munstead. Munstead is very thorny and I suspect might be a tad dark for my taste. Remontancy, disease resistance and fragrance are important criteria. Any recommendations welcome!

Lastly, I found 3 gallon supposedly well grown DAs from a nursery called Cattail Creek in Virginia, does anyone have experience with them? They are pricey at 40$ a pop, but 3 gallon would be a pretty mature plant, unless it’s a stick plopped in a big container.

Thank you all!

Comments (15)