SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamekeeper1

Srarlings and grackles

gamekeeper1
6 years ago

Always hear negative talk about these birds but with the heavy feeding we do a large number are visiting our gardens.For 47 years the old cherry trees that border our property have been infested with catapillars.Last year when I started a new/improved feeding program and the starlings and grackles came heavy they ate the catapillars and the the trees were /are lovely.Had considered removing the cherries but the birds love them and glad I waited to see nature working.

Comments (6)

• FeatherBee
    6 years ago

That's great news!

I'm getting lots of starlings and grackles now. I don't mind a few of them but when they take over the feeders then I get annoyed. The cardinals have a harder time feeding. I do have caged feeders for the smaller birds.

• dena_eft
    6 years ago

I hate those buggers!!

• gamekeeper1
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Perhaps you know more than mother nature

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    6 years ago

usually when the grackles and starlings get done being grackles and starlings, they leave the area and the other, more lovable birds come back.

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    6 years ago

Grackles are alright, but like most other Icterids, tend to travel in large, voracious groups. But, so do house finches. The only difference I think is stomach size. I think they can even be kind of pretty.

As an introduced species, starlings I have a hard time with. I don't have too much malice towards them, its not THEIR fault some fool decided that we needed to have them just because Shakespeare wrote about them I certainly don't have too soft a spot for invasives of any kind.