SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
portlandmysteryrose

Gallica photo share anyone?

portlandmysteryrose
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

As you all know by now, purple (and other) Gallicas are one of my great passions. I thought I'd share a few photos and a list of what I currently grow, Gallica-wise. Please chip in with your lists and photos if you have a moment. And if anyone grows Rook, I'd be eternally grateful for photos. Squirrels devoured my Rook buds this year. $&@%#**€! fuzzy tailed party poopers! (Last year it was Francis Dubreuil. Go figure!) I am doing some serious calming exercises to recover. Carol

Tuscany Superb

Cardinal de Richelieu

Orpheline de Julliet

Etienne

Rook

Ellen Tofflemire

"Paul's Unnanmed Gallica"

Song of the Stars

Belle sans Flatterie

Camaieux

Rosa Mundi

Apothecary's Rose

Duchesse de Montebello

Marianne

Comments (146)

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, what the heck! Ellen T.'s true colors.

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

Such lovely photo's everyone. I've very much enjoyed this thread! I haven't had time to read all the comments but have looked at and loved this pictures! My life's been so hectic lately I've so missed being able to do this :)

portlandmysteryrose thanked Alana8aSC
  • Related Discussions

Photos for Gallica Lovers

Q

Comments (16)
    Well, of course I have more photos - will post more of M. Joyaux's garden, and some of the other gardens that I saw, since you asked! Peak bloom was past in the Paris gardens - Roseraie de l'Hay and Bagatelle - but his Gallicas were just coming into peak. And yes, Sue, I'll try to get together a summary of some of the talks at the symposium. Betty Vickers is going to write the conference up for Rosa Mundi (the Heritage Rose Foundation magazine), but I took notes, of course. Anita
    ...See More

anyone have some group photos to share

Q

Comments (3)
    This probably isn't what you had in mind but here "was" my pot of old Orange Sovereigns before I finally separated them and gave many away. I don't even know if I have any of these left. This was really the only time that the bulbs all bloomed at the same time. Other bulbs that I had left the offsets in with the mother always seemed to bloom at different times and I never really got the beautiful effect as I did with this pot.
    ...See More

knee trembling- Whetstone Garden

Q

Comments (17)
    Oh my goodness, ‘Whetstone Garden’ is incredibly beautiful! ‘Gallicandy’ has always been the P.B. rose that I’ve lamented not being able to grow here the most, followed closely by ‘Marianne’. Now that I’ve seen ‘Whetstone Garden’, I’ll have to add that one to my list of Paul Barden’s I’ll have enjoy from afar......... What a beauty! You have produced some amazing roses, Paul. You’ve certainly made my little world a more enjoyable place. I suspect I’m not the only one that feels this way. Not one single rose gives me more pleasure than ‘Mel’s Heritage’. I thank you for that. Lisa
    ...See More

Gallica Share 2020, Anyone?

Q

Comments (120)
    I know I posted some gallica pics when this post was first formed, but I must have forgotten to press submit! I love looking at everyone's pictures! Especially Tricolor and Camaieux, two I am still trying to get. Bug they are all, so beautiful! My most favorite roses class along with the hybrid chinas, to me, they go together. I'll see if I have any pictures left on my phone...I got these. , but alas, I can only guess at the id...I wish I had a way to save them with names, cause my mind just can't remember. I can only tell you how much I love and enjoy them, and wish to aquire more! Lol
    ...See More
  • Paul Barden
    6 years ago

Thanks, folks.

@John: I gave propagation material of several of those roses to RVR and after years of waiting and watching, I find they've "lost" them. 'Whetstone Garden' was one of these. I need to make some copies if Ito guess.

Thanks, Carol for all the lovely photos of Ellen T. Gorgeous. Here is the rose in my garden last night:

portlandmysteryrose thanked Paul Barden
  • Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

This thread has been some of the greatest eye candy! I've enjoyed reviewing it again and again.

Paul, incredible gallicas! I'm still on the waiting list at RVR for Marianne and hope to grow her soon.

John, thanks for sharing pics from your visit - Belle sans Flatterie is breathtaking!

I would like to grow both Ellen T. (excellent pics Paul & Portland!) and Rook (great pic Chris!) but only have space for one - would there be any reason to pick one over the other? Dark blooms, disease resistant, and compact is what I'm looking for but they both seem to have this.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Dave5bWY
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi, Dave. Great question! They are both wonderful mauve Gallicas but with different personalities. Both have been super disease free for me! Rook is a smaller shrub with blooms in the darker, Tuscany Superb range. From what I know so far, Ellen T is a larger shrub with blooms in the Belle de Crecy or (Portland rose) Indigo range. Ellen is VERY fragrant. Rook has a lighter fragrance. Both scents are rich Gallica with lemony-sweetness to my nose. To date, I'd give both roses a score of excellent in my garden. Does this feedback help? Maybe Chris and Paul and others who grow these wonderful roses can share more info? I couldn't part with either, so it would be impossible for me to suggest one over the other. Carol

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 years ago

Portlandmysteryrose, I already HAVE Charlie, and he's a thicket 20' across. I mow around him religiously to keep him "under comtrol" (is a monster of 20' diameter under control???). I've posted on a couple of different threads about him recently. And yes, he would take over all 112 acres if I let him, lol.

Paul, yes, you need to make sure there are duplicates of your roses somewhere, preferably with someone who will actually disseminate them! Have you spoken to Angel Gardens or Rose Petals? They aren't as big an operation as RVR, but they're great folks who truly appreciate good roses.

Awww, heck, ANYBODY would be better than NObody, lol. You have no idea how much your roses are appreciated and desired.

portlandmysteryrose thanked fig_insanity Z7b E TN
  • Paul Barden
    6 years ago

From my photo archive:

'Aimable Rouge'

'Alain Blanchard', of course:

'Anais Segales':

'Belle Doria':

'Duc d'Angouleme':

'Cardinal de Richelieu':

"Sissinghurst Castle" (color is closer to Tuscany purple):

'Duchesse de Montebello':

• Paul Barden
    6 years ago

"Brooks Purple", a found variety that is common in graveyards in the PNW:

'Ombree Parfait':

Un-named Gallica seedling from the late 1990s:

Better photo of 'Duchesse d'Angouleme':

An unknown Gallica collected from an abandoned home site here in the Corvallis area:

'Constance Spry' counts, right?:

'Umbra':

'Song of The Stars':

And one of my own 'Duchesse de Montebello' seedlings, which IIRC is 'Duchesse de Montebello' X 'Buff Beauty'?

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, yes. I remember your remarks and stories of mowing CdM, John! And I sympathize. I grew him, too, back in the day. No one warned me about his wandering ways. Oh, what a tangled web he wove!

I didn't mean to imply Charlie isn't currently absorbing a high percentage of your real estate. I just meant to suggest that 112 acres sounds like ALMOST adequate space for his vast presence...plus 20 or 30 more choice Gallicas. I should have said, "Allow me to persuade you" to grow MORE GALLICAS! The way these plants take hold of the planet, they may become my greatest legacy! By the time I'm gone, my Gallicas will have colonized Oregon and set their sights on reaching British Columbia.

Oh, ahem, did I just hear someone request yet another Ellen Tofflemire photo? Ellen T in the rain today. No balling or melting. For all her sumptuous fluff of petticoats and ruffles, a very sturdy bloom. Looking fine in inclement weather!

Thank you for another wonderful image of Ellen, Paul! Like John, I would LOVE to see Whetstone and others propagated and for sale at more nurseries. Whetstone looks like a treasure that would bring enormous joy to so many OGR lovers! I keep revisiting (devouring?) your image of that rose. :-) Carol

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OMG, Paul! And thank you for that string of incredible Gallicas which just posted!! I've never seen so much beauty outside of botanical gardens. Carol

• Dave5bWY
    6 years ago

Carol - thank you! Yes, that was helpful. So many amazing gallica pics - thank you Paul!

portlandmysteryrose thanked Dave5bWY
  • chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    6 years ago

What great photos! Such an enjoyable thread. Paul, you still need to post some Gallicandy photos. I love that Duchesse de Mntebello seedling

Dave, I don't grow Ellen T, so can't compare. Rook has been very good for me. Stays about 2' wide and 3' tall, and has yet to sucker. The roses hold for a long period of time. I don't really get any fragrance from it, so if that's a big factor for you, take that into consideration. It has gotten fairly spotty this spring, but it has been very uncharacteristically wet, cool and cloudy. This hasn't happened in the past few years.

Here's my Apothecary rose fully opened.

And my Belle de Crecy patch that needs major intervention this year.

-Chris

portlandmysteryrose thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
    6 years ago

All your gallicas are gorgeous! Let me brag about Ellen Tofflemire in my garden. It's a baby (got her just a couple of months ago) but she has already been blooming. It took two of us to try to capture her magnificent color. Still not exactly her true color on this photo, but it's the closest we could get.

Thank you, Paul Barden, for giving the world this amazing rose.

portlandmysteryrose thanked vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Beautiful, Chris! Your photo of the Apothecary's Rose illustrates the vibrant side of OGRs. Your BdC "patch" must be a glorious sight in full bloom! I can only imagine the thrill of witnessing that volume of shifting shades of pink, mauve and plum while inhaling the delicious Gallica aroma. Thank you so much for the Rook info. Rook is one of those deep Gallicas that hip characters in 1920s mysteries would call "devastating." (A high compliment in pop culture of the time.)

Vesfl, it is so tricky capturing an accurate impression of Ellen T's colors, isn't it? (That's my excuse for attaching so many photos.) Your image is lovely! She seems to bloom heavily at a young age. My plant is only a preschooler but covered in buds on each cane. Carol

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    6 years ago

Carol's Favorite again. My Duc de Guiche and a mystery Gallica will hopefully be next....

portlandmysteryrose thanked Kelly Tregaskis Collova
  • Deborah MN zone 4
    6 years ago

Umbra's first spring.

portlandmysteryrose thanked Deborah MN zone 4
    6 years ago

Ooh, that's gorgeous, Deborah! !

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kelly and Deborah, wonderful photos of wonderful Gallicas.

Kelly, I've been tempted to grow Carol's Favorite for obvious reasons. :-) I think you garden just NW of where I used to live? Straight out 95 from Mpls.? I learned to love Gallicas when I lived in your area and am eternally grateful! I miss that great MN soil.

Umbra--another fantastic mauve Barden Gallica! I love the name. It is a perfect fit for the mysterious shades of the petals! Thanks, Deborah. Carol

6 years ago

I was comparing this year's photos to last year notice how much Pinker they are this year with alkaline manure fertilizer.

Last year

This year:

6 years ago

I have lots of suckers to share if you want to try this one! ! I don't think it's patented....

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

'Cardinal de Richelieu' was supposed to be my "gateway drug" to OGR addiction. He has been here 3 springs with no buds, but photos like those I see here mean he'll get at least another year. And he did get a much bigger pot recently, so we'll see if he just keeps growing, or if he'll actually contemplate blooming next year...

And Linda Perry, don't imagine that if I can get over the 'CdR'-not-blooming hurdle that I won't be looking for a 'Belle sans Flatterie'. It is a great name; I like the way it sort of takes a poke at the over-the-top names for some of the Gallicas of that time... and it is very 'belle' in the photos I've seen here- no flattery needed.

I'm stoking my gallica envy while watching the UK election returns. I was amazed to read that "One million 18- to 34-year-olds have registered to vote since the election was called."

I can't contribute any OGR photos myself, so please keep 'em coming...

Virginia

PS I forgot to mention that I might be getting a 'Canary Island' Gallica this fall; I sure hope it will actually bloom for me...

portlandmysteryrose thanked Vicissitudezz
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Kelly! I am still trying to place my current potted OGRs, but might I check in later for a rose swap if I find a good bed space or extra large nursery pot? Carol

Virginia, ooooo! Canary Island!! Sweet. I've only seen it in books and online. Carol

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    6 years ago

You might remember last year when Paul did a raffle of sorts and the winner received a free Song of the Stars. I was the winner and my plant is doing very well. It's now flowering and I love it

-Chris

portlandmysteryrose thanked chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
  • erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

These are great pics. I love all the seedlings of Alain Blanchard. Here is Ipsilante.

:

portlandmysteryrose thanked erasmus_gw
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Congratulations on winning Song of the Stars, Chris! It couldn't have a better home. Your photo really captures the dappled beauty of this unusual Gallica.

Erasmus, thank you for the wonderful Ipsilante photos! A true classic and one not frequently posted. I could just dive into the froth of pink petals! Carol

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    6 years ago

Just ordered Umbra and Orpheline de Julliet, my first Gallicas. Hopefully I'll have blooms to show next year

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, yes! Please post those someday, Modest. You are gardening my passion! Carol

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Simply drooling. Wow. What color and form.

How long does a gallica bloom?

portlandmysteryrose thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kristine, my mature Gallica plants bloom about a month each. Bloom time is slightly staggered, so the whole show lasts a bit longer. All in all, a spectacular event! Carol

6 years ago

I can only imagine

portlandmysteryrose thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Belle sans Flatterie finally opened!

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just one more of Ellen Tofflemire. My ancient digital camera caught the mauve-grey tones better than my earlier iPhone pics. She is young, but fast becoming a favorite in my garden! I'm skeptical that any other purple Gallica exhibits a more varied symphony of deep magenta-mauve-lavender smoky plum tones.

Oh, to be like a Gallica, to age gracefully, becoming more complex and beautiful with each passing day! Carol

• monarda_gw
    6 years ago

Why not? :)

portlandmysteryrose thanked monarda_gw
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alana, if you have a chance, please join in with a few of your beautiful Gallicas. I read that you are back on the forum again. Missed you! Carol

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

I'll have to find my camera, I'm not even sure I took that much with everything going on this Spring. I think I saw my camera in the car. I know I got some though. My computer messed up and I'm on my daughter's so that makes less time I can get on, lol. I also still have to post pictures from when I went to the rose festival in Orangeburg, I just haven't had time. I'll get back on and post some later, if we have power, we lost power for a while yesterday and are having storms again today. It's already flashed this morning and the storms are not here yet.

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No pressure, Alana! It's just nice to read your voice again. I hope the storms pass with no more outages! Carol

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

Ok, sorry this so late, and this isn't even but a pinch of what I have. I didn't get to take pictures much with the kids and the hospital and all, hopefully I'll get more next year. This is mostly a assortment of once bloomers, some are damasks and such not all are gallicas. I hope you enjoy. I also have pictures where we went to the festival of roses I have to get posted sometime. I just stay so busy, also my computer broke, so I am using my daughter's when she lets me :) Also some of these are from other years I just got off what I had on my camera..which wasn't much :(

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

Here's some more

6 years ago

Stunning

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing, Alana! You grow so many beautiful OGRs. I totally get downed computers. The technology is really patchy at our house. Hospital: is everything okay? Carol

• Tangles Long
    6 years ago

hI Alana, nice collection you got there! Jjust wondering are these bands or budded into a rootstocked? if they are bands did they bloom 1st year?Thanks.

• Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

The ones you see in pots blooming, some were bands last year and bloomed this year, others were bands that I got this spring and gave me one beautiful bloom, to give a hint at the future blooming beautiful roses they would become :).

Carol everybody is fine now. I stepped on that nail, and almost have to be hospitalized. My youngest daughter broke her arm, fell off the monkey bars at school..well fractured one bone and broke the other, she just got her cast took off yesterday. Then on the day my youngest was in the hospital getting her arm reset...the school called. I had to find someone to pick her up( My oldest Daughter ), it was early and she had just got there. She had been having problems with her monthly for a while.. bleed through before going to her first class, with a thick pad on..I made her a appt. for the next day because I knew it would be late when I got out with my youngest. I told my oldest daughter's doctor 3 month's prior , well one of them, they are a couple that they see there, that I wanted her on birth control to regulate her monthly..she got 5 days to a week break a month, and I told them it was getting worse, not better, it had been going on a year and Willow, I told them she was down playing her symptoms. Well the last time they had done blood work was three month's prior, anyway's she ended up being severely anemic when I took I took her in that day, they admitted her in the hospital they kept her for a couple of days, the meds to stop her from bleeding wasn't working, and her level's kept dropping, so they gave her three pints?/ bags of blood, kept her a few days, and we got to come home. She is on birth control now and is doing better. she has check-ups and stuff, but is doing well. Two days after willow came home from the hospital, my husband fells, was a 1/8 of a pound of pressure from breaking his ankle and completely tore his ankle from the bone and pretty much shredded his ligaments. My middle daughter is the only person not to have anything happen, knock on wood. I hope you understood what I said happened to everyone..sometimes I leave out details..if you have any questions just ask

. I think I wrote about all this as it was happening in another post. I'm still playing catch-up in the yard and such...another reason I haven't been on much. Along with my computer going out and getting my daughter's for a few minutes.. I get on and read over, trying to keep up alittle on stuff on here. There was two weeks or so I wasn't ab'e to get on at all except to message a person I had a trade with to let them know I wasn't able to do it at that time and again to put off longer because stuff kept happening.

6 years ago

Wow, when it rains it poors. You went through quite something. Prayers for you and your family. Fast healing and no more incidents! !

• portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OMG, Alana!! That is way too much to deal with! You are a superwoman. You are due a big reprieve and a patch of extra goodness.

I hope your foot has fully recovered from the nail accident! I remember when that happened. Painful, potentially dangerous and incapacitating! I'm glad to hear that the cast is off your youngest daughter and the regulation treatment is working for your oldest daughter. (Really, universe? TWO daughters at once?!) I hope your husband is healing quickly and thoroughly and that he isn't in severe pain! I also hope that your family is weathering any missed work time. That piece is always the icing on the stress cake, isn't it?

Thank you for taking time (on your daughter's computer?) to share what you've been facing while away from the forum. You have been missed! I wish I could send some retroactive hugs and encouragement, but since time travel hasn't been invented yet, please accept hugs and oh-so-much sympathy now.

How exciting that you have all those OGR bands growing in your garden! And the wonderful thing about OGRs is that if we throw regular water at them when they're thirsty, most will kindly wait out any other inconveniences until we are able to provide further attention.

xo Carol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

After seeing many beautiful Gallicas I lost track of this post and have now returned to see a veritable garden of exquisite Gallicas that have been added. There is some outstanding photography of some of the most beautiful roses I've ever seen. I'll never be able to grow a single one, and perhaps I wouldn't even if I could, because in my climate roses now grow almost all of the year, and even for my irises I've chosen reblooming ones. I'm just greedy, but to be able to see this incredible beauty here is a close second-best to having them in my garden. They do seem to take a lot of room, which I don't have, so seeing so many here has been a huge pleasure. Thank you everyone who contributed to this feast.

portlandmysteryrose thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Claire8WA
    6 years ago

A few from my garden today...they do bloom a long time in this lovely cool climate..life is good! But the color of these roses in the photos is not that correct

portlandmysteryrose thanked Claire8WA
  • Claire8WA
    6 years ago

Better colors in the morning light! Same roses! Smells pretty good in here too!

Hope you all enjoy your day, and get to work in your gardens

portlandmysteryrose thanked Claire8WA
  • Alana8aSC
    6 years ago

Thank you both for your kind words Carol and Kelly. Everyone is doing much better now thank you. Yes Carol, I am on my middle girls computer ( she's at her Gramma's now :) , lol )

I love your Pictures Claire! Is this the same Claire that grow's Orpheline de Juliet? That I was talking to around a year ago? I hope she boomed well for you after that move, the year prior? If that's what happened, I can't recall for certain. I am in love with your Mary Lawrence's rose! So beautiful!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Claire, these are all dream roses. How can anything be so beautiful? Mary Lawrence's Shell Rose is new to me and incredible. Thank you so much for posting these.

portlandmysteryrose thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • portlandmysteryrose
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for posting photos of all your magnificent Gallicas, Claire! Because of Gallica loving forum members like you, this thread is becoming one that gardeners will bookmark and visit for years to come! I think I spend a little time with all the Gallica threads every winter. :-) All your OGRs are such a treat to my eyes. The colors are my idea of perfection! Carol