SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jml248

DIY Kitchen Progress. Need Opinions!

jml248
6 years ago

Currently (as you can see) we're working on drywall. If it ever stops raining, we can finish installing windows. I really could use some opinions on shelving: length and spacing for our DW/Corner sink wall.

We're planning on installing floating shelves (1.5" cherry) using the threaded rod method. Originally, I wanted to go all the way to the window for max storage. But I think visually it would be unappealing both for balance and how it would run into the windows. The entire length of the wall is 90" (to the door) but now I"m thinking about doing 48" . I mocked it up in paint, but I'm a bit challenged with it.

I'd be storing on it: frequently used glassware, cookbooks, probably some bar type stuff (maybe some liquors, mixing stuff) we're not big liquor drinkers, but just some necessities for entertaining. I'm also leaning toward raising the lowest shelf so I can install stemware racks for my wine glasses (yes big wine drinker) but I'm never had them, so I'm unsure about that as well.

I think I'd like to put some plants or something visually attractive behind the sink that won't obscure the windows. Side note: just realized I put my electrical boxes too high, screwing up my window apron trim sizing (ugh, DIY errors). Also, we're doing this in cherry to match our cabinetry so if I don't need more shelving, that's a bonus, as it's pretty beaucoup bucks when we're already over budget. ahahahahha.

Would love some ideas or opinions as I need to get my order in for the cherry and the threaded rod so when we are finished drywalling and hubby is finished mudding I am ready to drill for the threaded rod etc.

Comments (4)