SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helen_markoglu

More gardenia help - roots good but not drinking and dying

Helen Marko
6 years ago

Hi all - I know all about Gardenia suicide - i'm down to two suicides now! I had a really cute August Gardenia from Home Depot it was flourishing and grew to twice its size. Because it was going dry too fast after a few months I decided it needed a bigger pot! BIG MISTAKE! in a few weeks. I noticed it stopped drinking and it looked like it was thirsty (TRULY SUICIDE!). I figured ok this is root rot. I take it apart, I cut the roots that are brown (at this point it only looked like it needed water even though the soil was very damp for days). The big THICK roots were all white. The little hairy ones all brown. SO I put it back in the original size pot which the now trimmed roots fit into. I trimmed back a third of the plant (maybe even more). Some down to just stems to redirect the energy to the roots. And it still is acting thirsty. Not soaking up the water and the leaves are drying. I think these are all heroic measures.. and I've already purchased a replacement (A tahitian gardenia which a Master Gardener recommended). I hope my orchids don't go the same route too. I feel like a killer. Thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored