Where's my verbena hastata?

neen_5mi(z5 MI)

Happy Spring to all!

I planted Verbena hastata several years ago and love it. By year three, my less carefully manicured corners were overflowing with selfseeded volunteers. But so far, this year, I see none. My V. Stricta is well up. Everything is going gangbusters. Is V. Hastata a late starter? Any other ideas? BTW, my beds are extensive, with varying conditions, and the plant previously has been in many locations. Now, zip.

Mary

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mindshift(8B)

V. hastata can be short lived, but it seems unlikely every plant would have died of old age in the same year. Was there an unusual climatic change such as being extra dry, extra cold or a late cold spell? Did you add compost or other fertilizer from an outside source? I have purchased previously reliable potting soil that stunted and even killed my plants before I figured it was the common factor. All I can advise is to look for seedlings over the growing season, and husband any you find.

Save    
neen_5mi(z5 MI)

Thank you for responding to my question. You may not have noted, it's 2 years old. The seedlings did appear, just later than I expected. I am accepting, now, that V. hastata in my landscape will be predictable in its return every year, but unpredictable in its specific location. It continues to be one of my favorite participants!

Save    
mindshift(8B)

Oops, I was looking at Unanswered questions, and did not notice the date. I'm glad the plant returned. I have also noted that native plants don't always stay where you put them. I planted Pitcher Sage (Salvia azurea) one fall and it didn't come up until the second winter, then only lasted about 3 years.

Save    
neen_5mi(z5 MI)

BTW, thanks for seeking out the unanswered questions. I've been around long enough to know the good people on this sight 1) may not know the answer, 2) may miss the question, 3) lead busy lives. But some who get no response may get their feelings hurt. Your approach helps.

Mary

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Verbena Stricta Tolerates Tough Spots
With its subtle beauty and long-lasting flowers, this pollinator pleaser is a boon to wilder areas
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Glandularia Rigida Paints the Ground Purple
Sandpaper verbena's deep purple flowers create a colorful carpet in drought-tolerant gardens
Full Story
Pets Good Dog! Cute Pooches at Home
The dogs of Houzz take you on a tour of their homes and show you where they lounge, eat, play, bathe and nap
Full Story