SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernadette6501

2 Plants to ID please!

I think I grew these out of a bee and bug mix that I bought. Not sure if they are the same plant. They have not flowered for me yet, and I have no idea what they are. They are growing in Far North Queensland, Australia. Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• backyardfeast
    6 years ago

The second one looks like sylvetta arugula, a perennial edible salad green that goes to flower and produces a mass of long lived and long stemmed yellow flowers much loved by bees.

The first one isn't so clear, but could also be a chicory or arugula--but could also be a different flower. Hopefully someone else will recognize it, or you could do a close up photo of the leaf?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

They could be a host of things. For the top one I'd hazard something in the Asteraceae. The second does look a bit like wild rocket but there are lots of other candidates. Perhaps you can show us again when they flower.

• Villain Rose (Zone 11 Qld Australia.)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi everyone! Thank you for your answers a month ago. Thought I would repost on my original post. Well, first plant has turned in to what I think is a gaillardia. So floral-uk great educated guess. Gees, your good at this!! Second and third photos are of the second plant which is a bit older now. Just smells like a plant, has not flowered yet. Not game to taste it. Leaves seems to snap easy though. So backyardfeast you might be right! Looks very much like sylvette arugula which I believe is the same plant as floral-uk said which is wild rocket? But its not on the seed packet that I think I planted which was Mr Fothergills bee and butterfly flower mix. I have not grown any rocket here for three years now either. I will post a photo again when it flowers. Does anyone else have any other ideas? I have a few of these plants too. Not sure if I should pull them up and plant something else. Thanks so much in advance everyone. You are all so clever!!!

• Tomas (Sweden z3b USAD)
    6 years ago

Looks a lttle bit as Blanket flower (Gaillardia)

Villain Rose (Zone 11 Qld Australia.) thanked Tomas (Sweden z3b USAD)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for your answers. Jay_6a this is the list from the packet. Sorry its so small. I am not good at cutting and pasting. But Centaurea cyanus is on the list. Thank you in advance, everyone here is so clever, and I do love this website.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

if you click on it.. its gets big enough to read

Villain Rose (Zone 11 Qld Australia.) thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Jay 6a n.c. IL.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yes the Centaurea cyanus, and I thought the Gaillardia looked like the perrenial G.aristata and that's what the package says. I'm so happy you saved it for reference.This Asteraceae family of plants is very confusing as floral stated, so whatever plant in your second set of pictures has the red and yellow American Indian blanket looking flower, that one is the Gaillardia aristata.Your plant's are looking fantastic.They must love your climate. I tried growing some of your native Rhodanthe last year.Beautiful plant.The plant with the more heavily loved leaves is the Centaurea cyanus which has the blue flowers aka Corn Flower over here.

Villain Rose (Zone 11 Qld Australia.) thanked Jay 6a n.c. IL.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Many thanks jay_6a, I now have an id. I am so looking forward to seeing these lovely blue flowers as I have never grown this plant before. I thought these plants were the same when they were younger, but as you can see they are very different. So I posted them on this website. Yes, I do live in a tropical climate and plants grow very easy here. Unfortunately we are on water restrictions, so keeping up the water is extremely difficult as we have had no rain for quite a while now. I bought a Rhodanthe a couple of years ago. I agree, it is a very nice plant. but somehow I murdered it, I think I killed it with to much kindness, which I tend to do at times. I love playing in my garden and I grow quite a few plants from seeds and cuttings. Here is a couple more photos for you. Mary thanks once again.

• Jay 6a n.c. IL.
    6 years ago

Villian,looks fantastic.That mosslike epiphite or whatever it is,is incredible. I think I might have killed most of my Rhodanthes with too much kindness too,but a few bloomed which were awesome.They seem to be very tempermental.Be sure to stay well away from the Gimpe Gimpe.Are you growing Spanish Moss or does Australia have something like it?

Original Author
    6 years ago

Jay_6a, thanks for your reply. It is spanish moss and I do have an abundance of it. I grew it from a tiny little piece that I aquired from someone. It is going well and it does get a half day of full sun, which I think is surprising. I also water it. What is a Gimpe Gimpe? Oh and here is a photo of that whole garden. Enjoy!!!!

• Jay 6a n.c. IL.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

look

Oh, sorry,I misspelled the name of the plant, it's gympie,gympie.From the way you were talking I assumed you must be far north.Gympie gympie is said to grow in the tropical north.It's the most toxic species of stinging nettle in the world.It grows like a shrub or tree.The pain from contact with it is said to be unbearable and last for years.Horses have jumped off cliffs after brushing against it.There are some good videos about it on YouTube.That's why I say stay well away just as fun.

Villain Rose (Zone 11 Qld Australia.) thanked Jay 6a n.c. IL.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh now I get it! The stinging tree!! Yes I am in Far North Queensland. Townsville to be exact. In the city. Never really heard it called Gympie Gympie here. You mainly hear about that further up north and in the Daintree which is about six hours away by car. I have seen one many years ago. And yes, don't touch it. Thank you very much for your information and its just been lovely chatting. Take care.