SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moiology

Seeking Floor Plan Critique

himeko
6 years ago

Hi everyone! So many of you have made this foum my go-to, so thank you for that!

Today, I'm hoping I can get some help with our floor plan. Without going too much into details, my husband and I were lucky enough to be able to build a custom home with a friend who is a builder. We get a great price, however, him and his team are not very experienced with custom homes. All they do is tract home. My husband and I drafted up a layout and floor plan we liked and sent it into his architect. We got our draft back today and I'm feeling a little defeated. I was hoping someone with the title "architect" would have been able to refine our vision... I'm now taking the matter into my own hands. We would like to refine this floor plan as much as we can and send it back into the builder's architect to make the changes. Thankfully, they are not charging us anything to draft these up, but I would hate to have to go back and forth, so I would like to nail it down on our on.

1. We have all the rooms that we want on the first floor, but I feel a little conflicted with the dining room nook and the deck area. I would idealistically like a dining nook that would hold our table with the leaf which is.... 110" in width and 40" in depth and I would like to add 36"- 48" around the dining set. We have a great view of the valley from our lot on the backside of the house, so we would like to really maximize that. However, our master is currently situated right above the nook and I'm afraid the roof line of the dining will be hindering us to have a large window in the master to look our the views.

2. I don't even know where to begin with the second floor. I will just say that we have everything we need, but it needs major refinement. The master is so much bigger than we like. The bathroom situations in all of them are not really ideal. We like the one on-suite bath and one jack and jill, but the layout of them just doesn't work. As well as pocket doors. We would like to avoid those if we can. The masterbath is the same. We would like to have a wet room style, tub in the shower combo. Separate sinks, one with vanity area. With lots and lots of windows.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Comments (11)