SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
satine_gw

Swollen Parotid gland--any experience?

satine_gw
6 years ago

I noticed last night around bedtime a bit of a sore throat and tender right ear. Woke up during the night to a lot of pain. I applied some heat this am and fell asleep on the couch but woke up to at least as much or more pain. Called my doc and was able to get in right away. They don't know what is causing it but are sure it is not the actual ear but the parotid gland. They prescribed an antibiotic and probiotic and tylenol for pain. If it is not better early next week they will probably do a scan. I feel miserable having just spent the last couple of days in pain from a knee problem. They said if over the weekend it gets worse head to the hospital. Joy.

Comments (10)

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago

I've had one, but they just told me to suck on sour things like lemon drops. It sounds like yours is infected whereas mine was just blocked. I hope it gets better over the weekend.

• satine_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fun, they didn't know if it was blocked only or infected. I was concerned because of the holiday weekend and my living alone I might have probelms. Im thinking that is why she went with the antibiotics. I can't remember the last time I had to take them--probably after a surgical procedure. They extra strength Tylenol seems to have taken the edge off.

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Glad to hear you are getting some relief from the pain and hope you see real improvement from the antibiotics.

Could it be an impacted wisdom tooth?

• satine_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nope, have no wisdom teeth and I do think it is the gland. I will keep on schedule with the Tylenol and hope I have no flare up during the weekend.

• Georgysmom
    6 years ago

I hope the antibiotics start kicking in.......saying a little prayer that you will be feeling a bit better tomorrow. ((((Satine))))

• nicole___
    6 years ago

It sounds awful. I don't know anything about it. Hope you feel better!

• andreap
    6 years ago

How disturbing. I hope it heals soon. Do you have a fever? I looked it up. It is apparently the gland affected by mumps, which I recall was no fun. Take care and keep us posted!

• Sammy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

First let me say I'm sorry you're in pain and hope you're able to get this resolved quickly! I, too, had swelling associated with my right parotid gland about two years ago that at first I thought was related to the temporomandibular joint (I had TMJD about 20 years ago), and I remember the first episode very clearly: I was eating grapes (or was it a clementine?) when all of a sudden I had pain and swelling in the area in front of and below my right ear. It was so sudden--and so weird! The swelling was so bad I couldn't even close my mouth! These episodes, which coincided with eating, continued for several weeks. I saw my dentist who referred me back to my oral surgeon's office. Long story short: I was successfully treated and all's fine now!

• sjerin
    6 years ago

Satine, I'm sorry you're dealing with this--it sounds very painful. If you don't have any problems with it, do you think Advil/Motrin might bring you more relief since it brings down swelling?