SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Just when you want it, you can't find it

Annie Deighnaugh
6 years ago

I was looking at tops for some reason and then of course, ads start appearing in facebook. One ad popped up, from I have no idea what web site, that had this really interesting blouse...long sleeve...I think it was collared, but the interesting part was the hem dropped down in the back and the back had a couple of buttons at about waist height with some gathers in between. I thought it was so interesting and I was thinking of buying it, but I'll be dipped if I can find the ad again. Or the blouse. So frustrating!

This is not the first time that's happened to me either. If I don't make special note of the site, it seems to be gone forever.

Does this happen to you?

Comments (22)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, spanish, but no....it tapered in the back to a point.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

Hopefully, it will reappear. The pop-ups are usually sites that you have perused.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Can you remember what day you saw it and go look thur your history?

I have the opposite problem. There is a blouse I looked at and really liked but was way too pricey. It keeps following me for like a week now!

• maddielee
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Annie, that is why people share stuff, so they can find it in their 'Activity Log'. Mark Zuckerberg is a genus.

• Lars
    6 years ago

If I cannot find some article of clothing that I want, I make it myself. Sometimes it is difficult to find the right fabric, however, and I have also painted fabric to get patterns that I wanted.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

Lucky you!

The last time I made anything was in 7th grade Home Ec. I made an elastic band skirt with two front pockets. To earn a grade, you had to wear it to school?!

Yes, this was a wonderful use of my time.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Lars, I've designed and sewn quite a bit of clothing for myself, but I've never gone so far as to make my own fabric! Maybe I'll have to try that too!

• Lars
    6 years ago

I was not allowed to take Home Ec. in public school in Texas when I was a teenager. I asked the principle if I could, and he told me I would have to get a note from my father giving his permission, and my father flatly refused - and got mad that I even asked. I was therefore forced to take one year of Vocational Agriculture, even though I had no intention of becoming a farmer. My father also forbid me to use a sewing machine, and so I had to sew everything by hand until I left home at 18.

Painting fabric is easy. You can buy fabric paint, or you get buy acrylic paint and mix it with an extender for fabric. The best use for painted fabric is for drapes, as it really allows you to customize them. My brother used to paint his ties, and he has also done pet portraits on T-shirts.

• blfenton
    6 years ago

I had to make the same elastic skirt and also wear it to school. I still failed the project, something to do with not bothering to hem it. My mother taught Home Ec and was mortified.

Annie - try googling swallow-tailed blouses

Annie Deighnaugh thanked blfenton
  • ratherbesewing
    6 years ago

The easier method is to make it an art project.Find some flower appliqués and glue them on a blouse.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks blfenton, a good tip, but I'm still not finding it. Hopefully with all my blouse searches, it may again trigger the ad. I also tried going through my history, but nada.

• jojoco
    6 years ago

MTN, I adore the blouse you found. No wonder it's following you.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Annie, have you tried Zulily? I have never bought anything from them, or even looked that I can recall, but I keep getting pop-up ads from them all.the.time! Clothes look pretty cute and they seem to have lots of tunic-style tops.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I can look, but I think it was from one of these boutique places I never heard of ... I would remember if it was a more familiar name like Zulily or Neiman Marcus, etc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ah...I guess with all my searching on blouses, it finally showed up again...from some place called Open Sky. And I was wrong...it doesn't have a collar. I really like the style, especially the back, but the fabric looks uncomfortable...it's 100% polyester.

• MtnRdRedux
    6 years ago

It's a really unusual style, I can see why you like it! but I think it might be unflattering, almost like a bustle?

• eld6161
    6 years ago

My DD had a flannel plaid shirt from Urban Outfitters a few years back that had that same back.

I know what you mean about polyester, but this such a nice top that I give it a try.

It is the type of top I would wear going out to lunch with friends or even out to dinner. Nothing where you would be exerting yourself.

No, I wouldn't wear polyester if I am going to be outside in the heat, or grocery shopping and pushing a cart around.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Lars, all girls were forced to take HomeEc in 7th/8th grade, but blessedly not in high school. My sewing ability never went beyond that of an 8th grader in 1958/59. I resented the cooking part of HomeEc because I'd already learned to cook and bake from my mom and our teacher insisted we made the worst, dull, tasteless dishes. There was a boys' cooking class and it was mostly a hit, because it meant something else to eat.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I suspect you can find similar all or mostly cotton shirts if you check out the stores catering to the younger age groups .. Free people and urban outfitters come to mind.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Funkyart
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think it would only look like a bustle if it clings...but if not, with the taper on it, it could "divide and conquer" the backside IYKWIM. Almost like the color blocking dress.

• eld6161
    6 years ago

I just looked it up. It's very inexpensive. What I would call a one season top. Or, maybe it will wash well who knows? But for that price it's a fun top and if it fits you, I think you will get lots of compliments.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161