SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

OT: Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I had a very close encounter with one last evening, meaning my hands were within one or two feet of it, and the only thing that saved me was that the snake for some reason (perhaps a recently ingested meal) was not inclined to strike, and did not even give a warning rattle. This snake is very common in many southern California counties, but the disturbing news is that it is very venomous and, according to one source, a bite can be fatal. Its venom seems to have become more potent in recent years, and one speculation is that it has interbred with the Mojave rattlesnake, which is the most venomous rattlesnake of them all, containing not only hemotoxins that will cause necrosis of the tissues, but also neurotoxins which can inhibit your breathing, to the point of putting you in a coma or worse. Unfortunately there are few places in my garden around the house where one might not be hiding, but on the other hand I've lived here for 11 years and this is the first time I've come within touching distance without at all being aware it was there. I wanted to post this here because the finding of its dangerously toxic venom is news to me. Dogs that are not on a leash or cats that are allowed outside can be endangered as well, and there is no good treatment for them; they will either survive on their own or die. I'm sorry if this news is alarming, but after my extremely adrenalin-producing encounter and the reading I did afterwards, I felt the need to pass the information along.

Comments (21)