SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bryony88_zone10a_england

Ideas on substituting the roses in this border photo

bryony88_zone10a_england
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I posted [a thread[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/whats-going-on-in-this-photo-please-dsvw-vd~4628146) about this photo before, and had some really helpful responses about what was in the border. As I have an 8ft, south-facing stone wall I think I will try to copy this border (obviously without expecting it to look anything like as good as that).

The yellowy rose is Reve D'or, and I will plant a Kathleen Harropp to substititute the pink climber on the left, which is unknown. My problem with the roses in the middle and the front is that they were identified as some roses that are harder to obtain, and once-blooming. I thought I might try and substitute them with other pink repeat-flowering roses. The garden is long, on a slope with the south-facing wall at the top of the slope so you can see it wherever you are, so repeat-flowering would be better for that location.

I was wondering if Louise Odier and Baronne Prevost might work for the middle of the border, then Rose de Rescht and maybe one other lower growing rose for the front?

I am not sure if the blooms of Louis Odier would work well in this context, though. Sometimes they look a bit smaller in photos and I don't know if the shape is right.

Or would it be a good idea to go for some more modern but old fashioned roses just to get the repeat blooming?

If anyone has any ideas for the pink roses in the middle and the front they I would be interested/grateful to hear them. It's mainly paler pink and taller roses in the middle and darker pink, lower growing roses right at the front, repeating if possible.

It might have to wait till the autumn to be planted now, though,as it's all a bit late.

Comment