SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilneverends

A stupid question about re-defining one's style

aprilneverends
6 years ago

Ok..not one's but mine

Since I'm very stupid today anyway I figured I'd continue to run with it I guess

I don't seek to throw away my stuff that I love(and I do love it). I also don't look for words like "traditional "or "eclectic" or "Mediterranean" or "modern" or " bohemian" or whatever.

I want not to get rid of things but find a way to introduce other things..and I have of course a limited amount of space, a family that's a bit on guard with my choices lately, and a bad case of design envy (like, why is that Lorraine Kirke has so many sad and strange portraits and nobody tells her what to do, and she just does as she pleases? Well she's also like million times more talented than me so it explains I guess..but still. I want to break free(c) but not to hurt anyone while doing that lol..and to still keep that part of my identity which is my place now. I don't want to change it; I want to expand it a bit.)

So I started thinking. I connect to the world through visuals and words..and I often start with words. That help with imagining visuals too

I arrived to the conclusion(took me several months no less) I should find a metaphor that will let me to define the place in a way that will allow me to pull off all of it..happy and sad..light and dark..weird and glamorous..

I started thinking..one of my first association with the house was, frankly "Winnie the Pooh" one. Lol

I think it a genius book ..you can enjoy it being five and being eighty five

yet it still wasn't it..I wasn't quite there already

then I thought "Alice in Wonderland". Absurdist, a tad more mysterious a tad darker..yet still a lot of happiness and hope and magic garden..right?

Then I suddenly thought "One hundred years of solitude" yet got seriously scared))))

Then I thought:

-how about I ask other people? you have associations I don't know..or don't apply to myself..or didn't think of yet. And these might show me the light..or some new angles that will show me the light

I'm here for about a year..writing all sorts of ramble I really shouldn't be writing, and I've no idea who has the patience to read through it..but I guess something can be drawn from it anyway, I expose myself much more when I write than when I talk..so if something rings to you like it can be applied to me..something like a book, a story, a tale, a quote, a movie, a character, a line, even the language you think it was written in, a cartoon lol. a whatever..

I'd be very grateful.

It might give me ideas about that metaphor I'm struggling with. And I do sincerely believe it will start falling into a place after I find it.

Ah, and if you got to the end of that post-I thank you just for that:)

Comments (41)